Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Do any of you ladies drink red wine for your heart health? I am 53 years old......?

My boyfiend says I am an alcoholic. I say if you have 1 glass per nite you are not. Even my Dr. says it's good for you. What is your opinion? BTW...he used to party hard...he gave it up...so he thinks I should not drink. We have heated arguments over this.

I drink cabernet sauvignon

Favorite Answer

Is wine good for you? The answer is, “Yes!” There’s lots of research providing proof that there really are health benefits from drinking wine.

Flavonoids from the skins and seeks of red grapes are the key to wine being good for you. These flavonoids lower your risk of coronary heart disease by reducing your LDL or bad cholesterol levels. At the same time these flavonoids actually increase your HDL or good cholesterol levels and decrease the likelihood of blood clotting.

Scientists believe that there may be other health benefits from red wine. A recent study discovered that an antioxidant in the skins of red grapes, called resveratrol, may inhibit the growth of tumors in some cancers. It’s possible that resveratrol can help treat Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s as well and new studies are on the way.

Are some wines better for you than others? Again, the answer is, “Yes!” Researchers at University of California at Davis have concluded that full-bodied dry red wines contain the highest levels of flavonoids and provide the greatest benefits. The number one wine for supplying the most flavonoids is Cabernet Sauvignon with Petit Syrah and Pinot Noir also ranking highly. Sweeter wines and white wines have less flavonoids and are less beneficial.

How much should you drink? Moderation is the key. Women should drink 4 ounces of red wine daily with a meal and men 4-8 ounces.

Pour yourself a glass of red wine and drink to your health. Cheers!

He owns his sobriety! You are allowed to drink still. Get a prescription from your doctor for the daily glass of red wine. Heart Disease is the #1 killer in woman. You are right. By the way, you Avitar does not look 53.

There have been some studies on this and it is generally agreed that a glass of red wine a day is quite beneficial, something to do with the iron content in red wine.

I have been thinking about having a small glass of wine before bedtime. I see nothing wrong with it, that's well within the range of healthy drinking.

having a glass of wine each night doesn't mean that you are an alcoholic. many drs. tell their patients to drink a glass of wine each night before they go to bed. I remember my grandmother drinking blackberry wine every night before she went to bed when I was younger. If your boyfriend thinks you are an alcoholic, maybe he should go to the drs.with you and tell your dr. how he feels and then afterwards he may change his mind.

I love Cabernet, whats your preference? Here's to a long heart-healthy, stroke-free life. Cheers!

red wine is healthy for the body. it has antioxidants. drinking a glass or a shot a night is not bad. just tell him too much is not healthy.

Keep drinking the wine and dump the whiner