3.)Why does Pocahontas marry someone other than John Smith?

In the New World film with collin F. 3.)Why does Pocahontas marry someone other than John Smith?

Favorite Answer

Because THAT'S WHAT REALLY HAPPENED! Pocahontas NEVER married John Smith. She really married John Rolfe, moved back to England with him, and even took a christian/english name.

Source(s): VA history teacher
  • Coreen

You're probably thinking of the Disney movie where Pochahantus married John Smith. This is actually a very interesting topic that our teacher went into a lecture about in class! It depends what perspective you're looking from the disney movie, or historically. In the movie pocahontas did marry john smith, but historically it is different. In real life, Pocahontas married a man named John Rolfe. The truth is that both John Smith, John Rolfe and Pocahontas were real people that lived in the same village, but the disney movie makers took a spin from the real story. John Smith was the leader of Jamestown. He did briefly meet with Pocahontas and she is said to have saved his life but they never became the affectionate lovers as the movie portrayed them to be. John Rolfe married Pocahantas in the Spring of 1614. In his notes he wrote "It is Pocahontas," he wrote, "to whom my hearty and best thoughts are, and have been a long time so entangled, and enthralled in so intricate a labyrinth that I [could not] unwind myself thereout." This resulted in a great union and peace between the people of Jamestown and the people of the Powhatens. Pocahontas was the honorable Indian chief's daughter and most of the facts about her are true. She was a kind spirit that helped out the settlers. After she married John Rolfe, she left to England on a short trip. Unfortunately, she couldn't stand it and died from diesease. So basically what you need to know for your history project, John Smith had ecounters with Pocahontas but it was John Rolfe that married her. John Smith, for the most part, did not mention sharing romantic feelings for her. Most of this information is based off my notes on the teacher's lecture that I litterally took out from my binder to answer this question. For more details you can look up John Smith, John Rolfe, or Pocahantas on wikipedia. My guess for why the disney movie makers made john smith have love interests with Pocahontas was because he was the leader of the village and she was the chief's daughter which would make it more symbolic. Anyways, I hope you learned something new today, I actually found this topic quite interesting!

That's Hollywood at work, making you believe they were romantically involved. In reality, Pocahontas was like 12 or 13 when the Englishmen arrived at Jamestown - she befriended John Smith & saved his life, but not because she was in love with him. She married John Rolfe & bore him a son, then when they went to England to visit she had to dress as an Englishwoman & deny her Native American roots. She got sick on the journey back to America, died, & is buried there. She never got to come back home - which I think is the saddest thing about her life.

Source(s): I live in Virginia - just miles away from where she protected John Smith from death.

Because John Smith was injured and went back to England for treatment - Pocahontas didn't know if he was dead or alive and not sure if they had anything but a "friend" relationship.

She did marry another John, however, but sadly died very young when she went with him to his native England.

Because john smith never wanted to marry her.

will because he leaves her and she thinks he died for a couple of reasons

That was historically accurate (although her age was not)

• i think she thought he died...and she moved on

• you know that my name is stacy too. and i do not know why.

why