what's the difference between Alzheimer's and Dimentia?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Sphinx
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Alzheimer's is a disease while Dementia is actually a symptom and can be caused by anything from disease to drug use.

• 1 decade ago

Alzheimer's is a disease that not only kills mentally, but kills physically. A patient who has Alzheimer's will inevitabely die. Everything will shut down.

When a patient has Dimentia, they mind is going. They start to go back to the days when they were young, and believe that they are the person they were when they were 20-30 years old. They could be in peak physical condition, but their minds are just, confused. Over-ridden with toxins.

My grandmother has Dimentia, and it's a hard thing to go through...but, I'm glad that she doesn't have Alzheimer's...because it definitely gives her a longer life span.

Hope this helps...hope it's right. :-)

• 1 decade ago

Alzheimers is a totally different effect on the brain then dementia. Dential causes could be arteriscerosis, alcohol or other various factors but alzheimers is actually a lack of neurotransmitters getting from the spinal column to the brain!

• 3 years ago

Alzheimer's ailment is known to be brought about by using plaque on the strategies that reasons the confusion and psychological deterioration. Senile Dementia is from 'getting older' of the strategies and it is blood vessels, inflicting everyday confusion and so on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The more I read, I can't really find much of a difference. All I know is that Alzheimer's actually causes dementia.

• 1 decade ago

Alzheimer's is a kind of disease which causes dementia, but there are other causes of dementia too (Parkinson's, getting old, kidney problems, AIDS, etc.).

See the links below for more info on each.

Dementia is the loss of different types of brain function, and Alzheimer's is one disease that can cause it.

• mld m
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I really don't want to get to deep with this answer. My experience is that in nursing homes, a ward is called an Alzheimer's ward, but covers, Dementia from stroke, heart, brain, senility, drug and alcohol abuse. It's called being polite. There are more controlled Dementia wards, usually in specific types of hospitals, homes that do deal with advanced conditions of behaviour, mainly violence.

• 1 decade ago

Alzheimer's is commonly associated with old age and dementia is usually experienced when an individual receives their GED diploma. Or, immediately following a car crash, after receiving their GED diploma.

• 1 decade ago

Alzheimers is a progressive / degenerative disease.Dimentia is a side effect or just a confusion type of state.

• Ice
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Alzheimer's is caused by dementia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.