Oil or, no oil in filter before I reinstall it in Ford 6.0 turbo diesel engine?

Best Answer

Is this an F-series or E-series? On the 6.0L DIT engine, it uses a cartridge style oil filter, similar to those used by BMW or Mercedes. On the F-series, the filter is on top, and on the bottom if it's an E-series. Remove the oil first, BEFORE you drain the oil from the oil pan. There is a valve inside the oil filter housing that opens up as soon as the oil filter is removed, to enable to residual oil in the housing to drain with the rest of the oil in the system. Make sure you use the CORRECT original oil filter from Ford (part number FL-2016), or else you WILL end up with driveability issues. Also make sure the oil is neither overfilled, or underfilled. It takes EXACTLY 15 liters (or quarts, whichever you're comfortable with). In answer to your question, no you don't need to put oil in the oil filter, before installing it. Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

• Susan

No filtered used cooking oil is not an approved fuel and could clog your engine. There are websites that will help you turn that cooking oil into bio diesel. WARNING If you do this you would not want to exceed 20% bio diesel to 80% regular diesel. It could clog or damage your engine especially if it is older. Many of the websites and books I have read on this issue state that you would wish to start using a smaller percentage at first then go to 20% in an older engine. Could you use a higher percentage sure but it can cause problems. Especially during the winter time. Bio diesel has a lower gel point so it will not flow as well in winter.

if you can put the filter in with the open end up put some in , it will reduce the time it takes to fill it by engine oil pressure , having said that modern engines feed the oil filter last , the most important thing to do is oil the gasket

Rakel is correct, leave it empty, it does not matter. The engine is not going to start until it builds up enough oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors anyway, by then the oil filter housing will be full of oil. That is what the high pressure oil system is for.

Source(s): Ford Certified technician ASE Certified technician Ford Certified Diesel Specialist 18 years experience

When ever possible-always put as much oil in the filter as possible.This will shorten the time it takes to achieve oil pressure after start up

Source(s): Lisenced auto technician

I always put oil in my filter and then install it. Depending on how it mounts on my Chevy it straight up and I fill 1/4 inch from top. On my Ford it tilted and I fill 3/4 so it not pour out when I install it.

Leave the oil filter to last , then fill it , then install

no oil in the filter to many times and you will be buying a expensive turbo.

Fill your oil filter with new oil anytime you can. It will keep you from having a loss in oil pressure while the pump fills it for you.

i own a repair shop,and always put as much as you can get in the oil filter it keeps the pump from having to try to fill it,other wise there,s going to be a while that you wont have any oil pressure on it,at least a few seconds,but put all you can in it,good luck with it,i hope this help,s.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.