whats the difference between ipf and pf>?

Favorite Answer

I just went through the evaluation for these conditions. IPF stands for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and PF stands for pulmonary fibrosis - both mean lung scarring. When pulmonary fibrosis is termed "idiopathic", this is a specific lung scarring pattern that is determined through lung biopsy - it is uncurable and progressive with the average length of life span about 3-5 years after diagnosis. If you have "pulmonary fibrosis" (without the idiopathic), this means that the cause of the lung scarring has been identified and the treatment will be related to that underlying cause. Treatment and prognosis will vary with the specific disease that is causing the lung scars.

I was first diagnosed with IPF but went to National Jewish Hospital in Denver, CO for a second opinion and was told I didn't have IPF, but that I do have pulmonary fibrosis caused by autoimmune disease (polymyositis and rheumatoid arthritis). If anyone has either IPF or PF - I would highly recommend a visit to the ILD clinic at National Jewish Hospital.

Are the results the same 3 to 5 yrs?

idk