Give me advantages and disadvantages of a laptop and a desktop computer?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I need to compare a laptop and a desktop computer..
give me a much comparasion as possible!
THANKS
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Laptop

Pros - portability, small foot print, quieter than desktop system, all-in-one package (keybd,mouse, monitor)

Cons - easily stolen, not easily updraded, no PCI expansion slots, expensive, not ergo for extensive typing, use slower processors, batteries wearout, trade off between speed and battery life.

Desktop

Pros - more expansion options, easier to upgrade, faster processors, no battery

Cons - larger footprint, need keybd/mouse/monitor, weight, can be noisy.

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
I like yours because it's so straight forward..just what i need..
there's this really long one which is pretty good too...thanks anyways
  • Comment

Other Answers (8)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Sc©©ttY answered 8 years ago
    Dear,

Compare size vs. portability

Desktop computers usually come with a vertical chassis, referred to as a tower, which typically sits on the floor under a desk. A monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers are all attached to the tower separately.

Laptop computers, on the other hand, are small, battery-powered, lightweight (usually between five and seven pounds) and ideal for those who require portability, such as businesspeople who travel or university students who could then easily move from a dorm room to a library to a lecture hall to a café. With a DVD player, laptops can also be used as portable entertainment systems.

Unlike a desktop setup, all accessories are integrated into the laptop (mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.) but external ones may be attached, as well. The prices for these accessories are about the same for both laptop and desktop PCs.

It should be mentioned that many of today's laptops come equipped with integrated wireless networking features (like IBM notebook PCs with ThinkVantage technologies) so that users can tap into a high-speed Internet connection. The PC user must be in the range of a compatible wireless network, known as a hotspot, which is available at some hotels, airport lounges, school campuses, cafés, and more. For more on hotspots, see Hook up to a wireless hotspot.

Desktop computers usually come with a wired network card, but wireless cards can be purchased for as low as $50.

Determine how much power and memory you need

A few years ago, there was no comparison between a desktop and laptop computer when it came to processing power—desktops won hands-down for speed and performance.

Because of advancements in processing technology, and an increase in the amount of RAM for mobile video cards, laptop computers now rival desktops in performance.

For example, Intel's Mobile Pentium 4 processor can power the latest computer games, while manufacturers like nVidia and ATI create high-end video cards for laptops.

Of course, laptops that can run sophisticated programs like PC games are considerably more expensive than regular laptops and are usually bigger and heavier. As such, souped-up laptops are often referred to as "desktop replacements" as they're less portable than other laptops.

Because there is little difference in performance between desktop and laptop computers, both should be able to handle common tasks such as checking e-mail, Web surfing, word processing, playing music, and photo editing. More powerful PCs can handle computer games and DVD movie playback (note: DVD-ROM drive required).

Factor in the price

Desktop computers are less expensive than laptop computers. For example, Dell has desktop PCs that begin at about $399, compared to its cheapest laptop at $599.

The price difference is because a laptop's components are much smaller, usually more expensive to manufacture, and more time-consuming to build into the final product.

Computer buyers on a budget should opt for an Intel Celeron processor, available for both desktop and laptop PCs. These CPUs take longer to process instructions, which results in slower performance than Pentium 4 chips, but are just fine for most tasks including e-mail, word processing, Web surfing, and using home finance and educational software.

Evaluate upgradeability and repair options

Components in a desktop computer are easier to upgrade than those in a laptop. Repairing a desktop PC is also a lot simpler.

Let's first address upgradeability. Until recently, laptop users were not able to upgrade any of the machine's components because it couldn't be opened—what you bought was what you bought. Some savvy users were able to add more RAM, but that was about it.

This remains true today except for higher-end gaming laptops that let users upgrade the video card whenever faster ones become available. Companies such as Alienware allow gamers to do this themselves, while Dell's XPS gaming laptops require a technician.

With desktop computers, users can easily swap components at the back of the tower (via the PCI or AGP slots), including sound cards and modems. More RAM, a bigger hard drive, or a new DVD drive are also easy to add to a desktop computer.

Another advantage to desktop computers is the ability to add a new monitor, like a 21-inch screen from a 15-inch screen, or a flat-panel LCD display from a bulky CRT monitor.

When it comes to repair, it normally costs more to fix a laptop than a desktop because, as previously mentioned, components are smaller and therefore tend to be more time-consuming. In fact, some repair shops will only work on desktop computers. That said, manufacturers usually offer similar warranties for laptops and desktops and will often handle the repairs themselves.

In case of further issues regarding computers & internet dont forget to contact via...
    Yahoo! Groups
    vijaysomanath - Customer Support Knowledge Database,
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/vijay...

¤ Regards, vijaysomanath
    ¤ http://www.spaces.msn.com/vijaysomanath
    ¤ Copyright © 1999-2006 vijaysomanath. All rights reserved.
    • Comment
  • curly answered 8 years ago
    I have both and I never use my desktop. Unless you need a tremendous amount of memory, laptops are great because they are so universal. It does everything a desktop can, but you can carry it around to places. I will take my laptop in the kitchen or up about around the house, if i don't want to be sitting in a chair but on a couch or something. The only thing about laptops is if you want a good name it will cost you, while desktops you can build for yourself and keep it relatively cheap. But laptops take up much less space, there is one wire and that is when you plug it in to charge. To access the internet, it is all done wireless. You can take it to school or business, and again, you can store it anywhere. Plus you won't have to worry about mice. hee hee. bad joke i know. sorry. Anywho, hope this helps.
    • Comment
  • Christopher M answered 8 years ago
    A desktop computer will typically have greater processing power than a laptop,which is more of an issue if you intend to play the latest games,which require more processing power and a decent graphics card.The disadvantages of a desktop are that as they are not portable, it is more difficult to use where and when you like.A laptop's advantages are that you can use it anywhere and also wirelessly in many areas due to wifi hotspots.They can also be used as a portable dvd player,to watch dvds on the move.The disadvantages of a laptop are that the battery life typically lasts no more than 3 hours,so if you need to use it in an area with no mains power access,you could run out of power when you really need it.But basically,if games are not a priority for you,then I would recommend a laptop over a desktop,as high processing power is not as much as an issue then,and also due to the freedom it gives you to use it anywhere.

Source(s):

general pc technical websites and paltalk pc techroom advice.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • NayaMee answered 8 years ago
    the laptop is easily moved because it is light and portable. i have one and sometimes i use it in the toilet too.
    you can forget your laptop anywhere if you usually carry it everywhere.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • To Be Free answered 8 years ago
    Laptop - portable

Desktops - more powerful.

Desktops are better at cooling processor so you can run a hotter processor. It can hold more memory. Desktops are easier to upgrade. You can use internal components such as PCI devices and PCI express devices.

Desktops support better graphics cards.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • byderule answered 8 years ago
    lap top more versitile ,portable ,more exstensions ,faster ,often more memory
    that is why they are 4 times as expensive ,because they are 4 times as good
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Devan answered 8 years ago
    advantage- you can take it with you where you go, disadvantage- the main reason you'd probably take it with you is to use the internet when you're not at home and that could put u at greater risk for spyware and viruses, advantage- they're just plain cool now, disadvantage- if you're a speed typer the laptop will probably rock on your lap with ur typing which can become quite uncomfortable. advantage- you don't have to spend extra money on screens, mouses, or keyboards, advantage- have LCD screens most of the time
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • tarah1980 answered 8 years ago
    i have both...the laptop is nice cause its easily moved, im not a fan of the comfort in typing and operating one..i much prefer my home PC for that
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block