Do you know who Leonard Cohen is?

I was a big fan of his when I had a best friend Heather. I took her to his concert, the Future. I had to max out my credit card to see him live. And her mom loved his music. All I need to do is look at his last new album to think of them. Not the soundtrack one, the one before that.

Best Answer

Leonard Norman Cohen, CC (born September 21, 1934 in Montreal, Quebec) is a Canadian poet, novelist, and singer-songwriter. Cohen began his career in literature, publishing his first book of poetry in Montreal in 1956 and his first novel in 1963. Following his breakthrough in the music industry in the late 1960s, Cohen became one of the most distinguished and influential songwriters of the late twentieth century.

Musically, Cohen's early songs are based in folk music, both for melodies and instrumentation, but, beginning in the 1970s, his work shows the influence of various types of popular music and cabaret music. Since the 1980s he typically has sung in a deep bass register, with synthesizers and female backing vocals.

Cohen's songs are often emotionally heavy and lyrically complex, owing more to the metaphoric word play of poetry than to the conventions of song craft. His work often explores the themes of religion, isolation, sex, and complex interpersonal relationships.

Cohen's music has become very influential on other singer-songwriters, and more than a thousand cover versions of his work have been recorded. He is iconic in his native land, having been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame. He is a Companion of the Order of Canada, the nation's highest civilian honour.

click hear:http://www.leonardcohen.com/

• Stacey

He's one of my all time favorite artists, and I'm going to have the honor of seeing him November 1st! My favorite Leonard Cohen song, and probably my favorite song of all time, is Hallelujah. Some others are First We Take Manhattan, Dress Rehearsal Rag, Chelsea Hotel #2, Suzanne, The Future, Democracy, etc... Happy brithday Mr. Cohen!

While Leonard Cohen is best known for his music, it is his poetry and prose that is exceptional. His songs are musical interpretations of his poems.

He is from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He is of Jewish decent.

He often explored the themes of faith, religion and love.

His songs first became popular through covers by Judy Colins and Jennifer Warens.

He has two children named Adam (also a singer) and Lorca.

Recently his long time manager stole his "nest egg" leaving him substantially in the hole.

For some really good information you can go to

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

Yeah, he's the guy that does the "everybody knows" song. He also had a couple songs on the "natural born killers soundtrack" and the Sisters of Mercy got their band name from one of his songs. I like "first we take Manhattan" personally

• Emery

Yeah I loved him back in the days. he comes from here, too and actually studied at the same university as me (but long before I did). I really like his old stuff (So Long Marianne etc,)

I adore Leonard Cohen! "Dance me to the end of love...." Yeah, love his stuff.

Source(s):

Leonard Cohen was one of my dad's favourite singers.The song Closing time was one of his favourites.

I just have to hear his voice and I'm transported to earlier times, when I wanted to be a sexy bohemian and ended up a mom and wife instead. I have a lot of his music on my mpw player when I run. sigh......... anyway thanks for the memories.

1

Source(s): Miracle Vocal Training http://SingingLessons.fastsolut.info/?gYSH
  • Nico

Never heard of him.