Need advice on Whole Life Insurance Policy!?

Just to make a long story short: I have had a life insurance policy since I was 22. I put in $1200/year. I am now 26. I was talked into getting this policy from someone who I respected but does not now, knowing they did not have my best interests in mind. I do not need life insurance at this moment, although I know... show more Just to make a long story short: I have had a life insurance policy since I was 22. I put in $1200/year. I am now 26. I was talked into getting this policy from someone who I respected but does not now, knowing they did not have my best interests in mind. I do not need life insurance at this moment, although I know there will be a need further down the line when I might have a greater chance of being uninsureable and the premiums will be higher. However, I am rated as preferred so I dont know if that will hold true. Should I surrender this policy? If I do I will have a check for $1331- basically I would lose out in $3469- BUT it might be better to lose that money now than to keep contributing $1200/year while the cash value grows very SLOW and my death benefit is only $176,000 anyways, which is NOT enough anyways... Any advice would be helpful. If I do surrender the policy I plan on opening a ROTH IRA and funding it with $200/month- the 100 from the ins. and 100 more of my money.
12 answers 12