Truthful difference between DSL & Cable internet.?

Would you give up cable internet to go to DSL? My phone company says it is just as good and almost as fast. I now have cable, but it is pricey.

Favorite Answer

At this point average speed of DSL is less than that of an average Cable connection. DSL claims that latency on DSL is less (quicker response) than on Cable but it's not substantial.

Price on the other hand goes in favor of DSL. DSL right now is much cheaper than Cable in most areas. I've have used both DSL and Cable and I am in favor of Cable because of the higher speed but the biggest deciding factor for most people is ... reliability of service. I will give up higher bandwidth to have reliable and consistent service. I changed from DSL to Cable due to that reason. (My local DSL provider expanded too quickly and couldn't keep their network up and reliability suffered as a result.)

• Marie

Speed (advantage - Cable): Cable boasts faster speed than DSL Internet in theory. However, cable does not always deliver on the promise in everyday practical use. Some of the differences between DSL and cable modem originate not with the technology itself but rather with the service provider. All other things being equal, factors like cost, reliability and quality of customer support for installation and maintenance issues can vary significantly from one provider to the next.

We used to have DSL, and now we have cable, just because we merged the bill with our cable TV. Honestly, I wish we could go back to the DSL. It seemed just as fast to me, and it was more reliable. On days of heavy internet use in the area, the cable tends to go out, and has to be reset a LOT more often than our DSL. I can only remember one time in about 5 years, that the DSL had to be reset.

I♥♫→mia☼☺†

I did because of both the constant downtiime we experienced and for the constantly rising prices on my cable bill!

I don't know if you have Verizon in your area, but they offer attractive packages that offer discounts on your phone & long distance service as well as offer Fast DSL for $24.99 for the package deal, $14.99 for the slower DSL. THe prices may be off a little, but dhop around.

The good DSL price is for the slowest speed, plus it is probably a limited term offer and the price will increase after the introductory term expires. DSL is priced on speed and the faster the downstream spedd the more expensive the monthly cost.

cable is alot faster but if you are the average surfer just normal video music and games dsl is just fine if you are into building web pages or uploading mass amounts of data cable is the way to go page load speeds are hardly any diffrent and if you have a max speed dsl it is almost as fast

Depends on the level you buy!!!

dsl is fast yes, but if your willing to pay a lot more you can get 10MB down on cable, much faster, much more expensive, DSL can go to 6MB i think

I use to have cable with Comcast, but had to go with DSL when I moved. As far as speed goes, I can't see any difference.

If you are close to a telephone switching station ,DSL is as good as any cable you can get.

I got Time-Warner cable, and with TV its cheaper! I don't have a land line, everything runs on cable and the computer....so for me its worth it! I pay 21.95 a month for High speed Internet! Its always good to have a choice, if they raise the price I can go with earthlink, TW-RR or clearwire fixed-max.wifi.....