kitty
kitty asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How much should I feed my kitten . And how much a day?

His name is Little JJ. He always want's to eat . When I frist got him he ran right to the food and started eating and drinking like he was starveing . I always leave food and water out for him. But he is very active , how much should I feed him . Even if he exersise all the time , should I worry about it. I just want the best for him. I didn't think he get feed eough where I got him .Please help , all advice.And how many times a day.

And he till crys for more. I dont want him to get fat.

Is there any heathly treats I can buy him to make him heathly?

• Favorite Answer

How to feed puppies and kittens

3 Weeks to 3 Months Old

Milk from the mother kitten (queen) and mother dog (***** or dam) is ideal for puppy and kitten growth. If the mothers cannot provide enough milk, puppy or kitten milk replacer is the ideal supplement.

Kittens

How to feed a kitten and how much to feed a kitten: Kittens need 2-3 times more calories per pound than adult cats need. For newborn kittens, all the calories are provided by queen’s milk or by milk replacer. At 3-4 weeks of age, kittens can be supplemented with a small amount of canned or dry commercial food that is saturated with milk replacer. Tiny kittens play with their supplemented food and need to be cleaned after they eat.

Most queens suckle their kittens until they’re 7-8 weeks of age, gradually decreasing the time the kittens are allowed to nurse. With this natural weaning process, by 7-8 weeks of age, kittens obtain 80-90% of their nutrition from supplements, and 10-20% from the queen.

A kitten’s weight should double or triple during the first weeks of life, then continue to gradually increase to the adult weight between 9-12 months of age.

Weaned kittens should be fed 4 times a day until 3 months of age. If kittens are growing properly and gaining weight, reduce feeding to 3 times/day. After 6 months of age, feed kittens and adult cats 2 times/day. If possible, avoid leaving food down all the time because this allows the antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins in the food to oxidize so that your kitten receives less of the nutrients it needs and that you’ve

paid for. Gradually introduce a variety of foods and textures so your kitten matures into a cat that’s willing to eat a variety of healthy foods. At least 1/3 of the diet should be protein.

Canned or homemade diets provide moisture that helps prevent kidney and bladder problems and may be healthier than dry diets for many cats.

Puppies

How to feed a puppy and how much to feed a puppy: Puppies need 2 times more calories per pound than adult dogs need. For newborn puppies, calories are provided by the mother’s milk or by milk replacer. At 3-4 weeks of age, puppies can be supplemented with a small amount of canned or dry commercial food that is saturated with milk replacer. Tiny puppies play with their food and need to be cleaned after they eat.

Most dams suckle their puppies until they’re 7-8 weeks of age, gradually decreasing the time the puppies are allowed to nurse. With this natural weaning process, by 7-8 weeks of age, puppies obtain 80-90% of their nutrition from supplements, and 10-20% from the dam. Puppies need 25-30% of their diet to be protein. A puppy’s weight should double or triple during the first weeks of life, then continue to gradually increase to the adult weight. Small breed dogs, whose adult weight is 20 pounds or less, reach their adult weight between 9-12 months of age, but large breed dogs don’t reach their adult weight until 2 years of age. The size and weight of an adult dog is not determined by how quickly it grows, so feeding too many calories will not make your dog maximum size. In fact, feeding too many calories harms your pet. Your pet will reach a maximum size determined by genetics and nutrition.

When growing puppies receive too many calories, and too much calcium, they develop bone disease and arthritis including hypertrophic osteodystrophy (HOD), osteochondrosis (OCD) and hip dysplasia. Because too many calories and too much calcium cause the bones to grow improperly, these pets have painful legs and joints, lameness, and malformed bones. Sometimes these signs appear to be rickets, which is a deficiency of calcium, but they are actually the opposite problem. If puppies with HOD, OCD, or the tendency to hip dysplasia are supplemented with calcium, their problems become more severe and their bones may be permanently damaged.

With any puppy, but especially puppies of the large and giant breeds, feed so that the puppy grows slowly. Do not over feed.

Weaned puppies should be fed 4 times a day until 3 months of age. If puppies are growing properly and gaining weight, reduce feeding to 3 times/day. After 6 months of age, feed puppies 2 times/day. If possible, avoid leaving food down all the time because this allows the antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins in the food to oxidize so that your pup receives less of the nutrients it needs and that you’ve paid for. Gradually introduce a variety of foods and textures so your puppy will mature into an adult willing to eat a variety of healthy foods.

Canned or homemade diets are closer to the natural diet that dogs evolved eating and may be healthier than dry diets for many dogs. If feeding dry food is most suitable for you, supplement your growing pet with small amounts of sardines, yogurt, mashed sweet potato, spinach and pureed vegetables.

• Avie

It's normal for kittens to be little snack monsters ;) Since they are so playful and so active, they need to eat to replenish their energy and grow up healthy. On the back of the cat food bag, there should be directions for how much food to give him each day. I typically free feed my cats. That is, I have food available in their bowls at all times. They know when they've eaten their fill.

Right now, Little JJ needs to eat so he can play and grow. Don't worry about making him fat. Now, when he gets older and doesn't play as much, then he won't need as much to eat and you'll want to cut back. But that won't be for a while. You're very conscientious in trying to do the very best for him--I wish most cats had such a good parent!

put out 1/2 cup of food twice a day once in the morning once in the evening if he is a kitten he should be eating specially made food for kittens like purina one for kittens he needs the protein that is in these foods and he will be fuller for longer you can also give him a pouch like whiskas tender bites mid-day if you think he needs it he wont get fat dont worry and always keep him fresh cool water at all times

every kitten I have ever had I would always leave the food out so they could snack thru the day and nite and none of my cats are fat. I only feed them dry food moist food isn't good for them and will make them fat.

if you are feeding can cat food than feed him half a can 1/2in the morning and 1/2 in the evening if you are fedding drie cat food than you would feed it 1/2 a hand fool in the morning and 1/2 a hand fool in the evening so good luck with feeding your kitten

The thing is, cats are quite the SNACKERS! They eat little by little but very often... What you should do is make sure to refill her food and water bowl every now and then so he's got something to munch whenever he feels like it... say hi to litle JJ for me :P

three times a day

1/4 cup per pound till 19 weeks

1/4 cup per 2 pounds till 29 weeks

if you have dry and wet cat food you should give him half wet and half dry or a little wet or dry. and if he finished that than give him some milk but this part is inportant,dont forget to put some water in the milk before you give it to him or else hell have a stomache problem.

Kittens need lots of food at first. Consult your vet on the appropriate amount for your particular kitten.

Also, your poor kitten may have worms. If so, he needs to be dewormed ASAP by the vet (please, PLEASE do not try to do it yourself. Dewormers that you can buy in the stores are not effective and will not kill the worms at all! It's cheaper to have the vet do it!).

It usally shows it on the back of the box. It does for dogs.