has anyone heard of watching the wizard of oz and listening to the pink floyd cd,?

Favorite Answer

Getting Setup

It will probably take you a few tries to get the synch lined up just right so be patient. First load the Dark Side of the Moon CD into your CD player and hit PLAY (>) and then immediately hit PAUSE (II) so it is cued up and ready to roll. Be sure also to set your CD player to continuous replay. This in most CD players is done by hitting the "REPEAT" button twice. Hitting it once will repeat only the presently playing track so hit the button two (2) times and it will replay the CD over and over. The CD will play roughly two and a quarter times through the entire length of the movie. Now start the video and get past all the preview junk (about five minutes worth on the THX voersion) at the beginning and watch for the BLACK & WHITE MGM lion to roar. After the BLACK &WHITE MGM Lion roars for the THIRD (3rd) time IMMEDIATELY hit the play button on the CD player.

Be sure to turn down the sound on the TV because the dialogue and original soundtrack are not necessary for this experiment. "The Dark Side of the Moon" will provide all the sound you need. For your most enjoyment make sure you get number one in the list below exactly right. Don't worry if you have to restart it a few times. The effect is worth the trouble. I have discovered some problems with a few of the compact stereos with the CD player on the top. They either do not have a "repeat" function or the response is a bit delayed.. Therefore your results after the first playthrough will probably vary from this list. Just get the first one listed below correct and you will at least get the first and best playthough just fine.

Similarities with Pictures

Breathe

"Balanced on the biggest wave" as Dorthy's balancing on the fence.

On the Run starts as Dorthy falls. Notice the theme of the music as everyone panics.

On the Run

Notice how at the end of the song, you hear thunder and then the camera shot of the sky. Could there be a storm coming?

Time

The ringing of bells is heard as Time starts and the witch enters on her bike.

Notice how Dorthy look's back and forth, in sync with the guitar picks, well kinda.

During the guitar solo in Time, you will see the fortune teller's sign. It reads Past, Present, and Future.

During the reprise of Breathe, notice Dorthy's reaction to the fortune teller, like she's being foretold something great. There's no place like "home, home again".

Great Gig in the Sky

The song starts as Dorthy leaves the fortune teller.

Spoken : "I'm not frightend of dying, anytime will do, I don't mind" as Dorthy soon faces her near death experience.

Notice how the camera angles change with the music.

Notice how the singer sings as Dorthy panics.

The singer slows down as the window hits Dorthy in the head.

The song ends as Dorthy leaves the house.

Why is it called the Great Gig in the Sky? Could it be that the house is in the sky?

I always wondered why Clare Torry sung like that.

Money

Notice how the movie is now in color.

The song starts as Dorthy enters Oz to the sound of cash registers and money chimes.

The munchkins seem to dance in beat during the guitar solo.

At the end of the song, you hear spoken : "I don't know; I was really drunk at the Time". Isn't there a rumor that the munchkins were all drunks? That's why they marched out of step?

http://www.eskimo.com/~tiktok/faq09b.html#ozq9.19

money.wav (44.1kHz 8-bit mono 100kb) (from P.U.L.S.E. Money - "I don't know; I was really drunk at the Time")

Us and Them

Notice Certificate of Death.

Ballerinas enter on "Us . . . Us . . . Us . . .".

Notice how the munchkins move to the music.

Is it "which is which" or witch is witch?

"Down . . . Down . . . Down . . ." as the bad witch of the east goes down.

"Round and Round . . ." repeated shots of the red slippers.

"Out . . . Out . . . Out . . ." as the good witch of the north disappears.

The scenes change as the song ends.

Any Colour You Like as long as it's black

Isn't this movie now in color?

Notice how Dorthy walks as the song starts.

Any path you want to take.

Brain Damage

Scarecrow sings If I Only Had a Brain. What's the name of this song?

Eclipse

As the song ends with da heartbeat, Dorthy's trying to hear a heartbeat in the Tin Man.

Turn down the sound on the Wizard of Oz. Start playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon when the lion roars the second time. The music syncs up to what is happening in the movie (i.e. violins playing when Dorothy is talking, certain music for the tornado, witch, etc).

Source(s): Tried it myself.

the wizard of oz was a great film but after seing it 40 zillion times as a kid, and that pink floyd thing i turn on hbo know!! i do occasionalyy listen too the pink floyd cd!!

I think your supposed to start the CD right after the MGM lion roars the second time. I have seen it, I thought it was pretty cool. No I do not take drugs, I just appreciate art.

Yes but I've never tried it. :)

And it's the "Dark Side of the Moon" album that people are referring to. I think you're supposed to start the CD before the MGM lion does his last roar or something like that.

Dark side of the rainbow? Ive heard of it from a friend.. If you listen to Dark side of the moon and start at a certain scene then it goes along with the movie. But i haven't seen it myself. only a friend..

• Kuji

Yeah, I've heard of it and apparently it works if you're really stoned. I've never tried it myself though. I'm not a real big fan of Judy Garland and I don't use drugs.

I think it only works through the old side A. I'm not sure if the timing stops coinciding or if no one was ever aware enough to note if it still worked.

• Jenova

yeah. I tried it once. it was ok, nothing real special. and besides, Dark Side of the Moon isn't as long as the movie. it ends somewhere around...when Dorthy meets the scarecrow...I think. it was over 3 years ago when I did this so I can't quite remember.

Good Luck syncing!

yeh i went to a showing of the movie while the album was playing in sync...

wasn't that great really.