I have to write about cell death and leukemia. What can anyone tell me about it (incl. online sources)?

Favorite Answer

Leukemia (or leukaemia; see spelling differences) is a cancer of the blood or bone marrow characterized by an abnormal proliferation of blood cells, usually white blood cells (leukocytes). It is part of the broad group of diseases called hematological neoplasms.

and

Programmed cell death (PCD) is the deliberate suicide of an unwanted cell in a multicellular organism. In contrast to necrosis, which is a form of cell death that results from acute tissue injury and provokes an inflammatory response, PCD is carried out in a regulated process that generally confers advantages during an organism's life cycle. PCD serves fundamental functions during both plant and metazoa (multicellular animals) tissue development.

You could get more information from the 2 links below...

Try this site:

http://rationaltherapeutics.com/?src=overture

Cell death is called apoptosis, and is mediated by various chemicals and processes in or introduced to the body. There are scientists who spend their whole lives studying it. Inducing cancer cells to commit suicide is a very promising strategy for cancer research. The site above explains some of the processes in layman's terms. Good luck!

you may wish to include in your discussion one particular leukemia: multiple myeloma. it is a leukemia where cells (B cells in particular) increase in number due to the lack of apoptotic mechanisms.

this is a really good site on leukaemia, i used it when i my daughter was diagnosed last year. There is so much information on leukaemia, it would be easier for you to check it out. Good luck