Was Ford Motor company (a) meeting its Social Obligation, (b) being socially responsive, or?

(c) being socially responsible? Explain your choice. How about Firestone?

Best Answer

C. In the recall of 6 million (I believe) tires, Ford was doing all that it could to reclaim being a safe vehicle - and when there is evidence of something not being safe, that obstacle was removed. I believe that there was plenty of fault to go around (in hindsight). All of the Explorer rollovers and fatalities were due to a heavily loaded vehicle and underinflated tires. I never heard if Firestone continued to sell that model tire - but as I recall, Firestone was resolute in saying that the tires weren't the problem. Firestone mearly responded to the action taken by Ford. That decision - as corporately painful as it was (replacing that many tires must have cost dearly), make Jack Nasser lose his job. Don't know how many other corporate executives would make a similar decision with that kind of consequence.