Cooking with Curry - Can I substitute powder for paste??

My recipe calls for 2.5 Tbsp of Curry paste - I only have powder! What's the substitution rate?

Favorite Answer

Not without altering the taste substantially. The powder are just condiments to enhance the flavor of the paste. The paste made of coconut, red chillies and other herbs and spices forms the real base of the curry.

Substitution For Red Curry Paste

• kbc10

No, I don't think so. It's a different spice entirely. I don't know what nationality your recipe that calls for curry paste is (I've got some Thai ones that have "red curry paste" and "green curry paste" so I guess yours might be Thai).

Try going online, finding a site with Thai recipes, and finding a recipe for curry paste. ("red curry paste" or "green curry paste" or whatever it is)

Don't use curry powder here. Curry powder is like, a Western approximation of an Indian spice mixture. Your "curry paste" is probably from a Thai recipe and would have an entirely different flavor.

Yeah, sure of course you can... No matter if it is powder or paste, it is still curry right?

If you wanna use curry powder, just use around 2 Tbsp or 2.5 Tbsp also can... It doesn't matter... The more you use it, the more yellow your curry dish color would be... But my suggestion is 2 or 2.5 Tbsp...

Source(s): My mom likes to cook fish curry coz it is my dad's favorite dish... ;-)
  • yblur

Powder is different from paste. Curry powder is more used in Indian style dishes while the paste is for other Asian styles (Thai). The paste is usually stronger in flavor because it has been "cooked" to bring out the oils in the curry. The powder isn't as strong until it's been cooked. Since all curry powders and pastes are different I would suggest you experiment with your amounts or just taste as you go.

yes you can. get a good combo of curry with rich spices if you know someone coming from india..the store bought is ok but make sure you check the exp date.

You can make the dish tastier by marinating the meat with garlic and ginger and salt.

then fry oninons, add the curry powder then the meat.

I think it is 3 to 4 tbsp

A mixture of Thai red chillies, onions and spices. Use to make Thai Red curry, or a marinade for chicken, fish and red meat and for stir-fry. Typical ingredients include: Fresh Lemon grass, onions, chillies, garlic, coriander, galangal, paprika, makrood lime leaves, vegetable oil, salt, shrimp paste, cumin, tumeric, lime rind, citric acid.

Just use the same amount - that's what I put in my Friday night Fireball...

u could use powder instead, but i don't know how much:(