What are the trendy brands for Elementary age clothing?

My daughter is going to start elementary school next year. She's fully prepared academically and socially, but I also want to plan ahead so that she has the right clothing. I was such a dork throughout my school years and Although it's sad...I do know that name brands do matter. I want her to be accepted. The only place I know to start is Gymboree, but is that too babyish?

I don't think you should concern yourself about your child's clothes. I think it is sad to see so many Mom's out there that are concerned about the brand or type of clothes their 5 year olds wear. Just find something that your daughter likes and is comfortable and suitable for school. I agree you don't want her going to school looking like a Hooker. I think most places like Gymboree and Baby Gap and Old Navy have things that are more child friendly, last longer, sturdy, and don't look like a Hoochey Momma. You think brand clothes matter because you are letting other people dictate that to you. Do you always let other people influence you like that? Is this the message you want to send to your daughter that unless she wears fancy name brand clothes that she will amount to nothign in school. I would suggest that maybe you consider changing your mindset for the sake of your daughter.

Angela B is right. I can understand and relate to your memories of being out of fashion when you were in school, but making a big deal of it to your daughter will only make her more self-conscious, and also put you on the hook for serious clothing bills later when she becomes a teenager. Don't do it to yourself. If she wants trendy things, that's one thing, but you shouldn't tell your kid "You need cute clothes to feel good about yourself".

Just pick out clothes that look cute on her, like you have been all this time, whether you buy them at Target or wherever.

Be sure that you stay within your means....it's better for her to wear clothes that aren't "elementary chic" than to have a mom stressed out over making her look good. To be perfectly honest with you....thrift stores and yard sales have tremendous amounts of good quality, name brand clothes for affordable prices. I'd check there. But if you must buy everything new.....you can't go wrong with Old Navy. The prices are reasonable and the quality of the clothes is good.

• nimo22

Old Navy is a start. My daughter loves Whatever Girl clothes, and Blueberry Blvd. dresses. The Children's Place is also good. Let her help pick out the clothes and develop her own style, don't worry so much about her not repeating what you see as your own shortcomings in school that you stifle her sense of style and creativity. I've also struggled with this, but I've had to quell my own insecurities to let her be who she is. It's okay to guide her so she doesn't go out of the house ridiculously mismatched or something, but give her some say.

I dont think of that maximum easy elderly youngsters get into manufacturers that plenty, yet Justice is quite universal between that age team and is age proper previous army hollow the baby's place Osh Kosh

she's a child she doesnt need expensive clothing, or nothing to trendy because she'll just out grow it quickly...try places like target & walmart...also a store called childrend place, the clothes are age appropraite and cute enough that all her class mates will be jealous

Your question floored me! Worrying about trends in elementary school??? My 9 year old's clothes come from discount stores or second hand thrift and she always looks nice for school. Thankfully she's not into labels--on clothing or people. As long as she's clean and in compliance with her school dress code, I don't worry about her attire. There are so many other important things I want my daughter to focus on besides impressing her classmates with her fashion sense.

Please don't do it! They grow out of clothes so quickly that it is a waist of money. Just get your child clothes that are of good quality. If you start it now, that is all she will expect you to buy. If she is a teen and wants them then she can get a job and get her own clothes. Save the extra money and put it into a college education fund. She will need that money for college not clothes.

Old Navy and Children's Place are great. As she gets older, she'll get interested in Limited Too and Justice. Before you know it, she'll become more and more pickier about her clothing. ( I have a third grade daughter who is very picky about being "trendy".)