Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

How would you mothers deal with a 7 year old son that constantly hurts himself after you punish him?

I know a lady that has a son like that and everytime she gets on to him for something, he tries throwing himself into the wall, bites himself really hard, etc.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

yeah thats weird, but if it's someone elses kid there isn't anything you really can do!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • I honestly would do two things: 1.) look at the way he is punished. If it's harsh language and extreme like punishments, he could do it to focus on the physical pain rather than the hurt emotions. Or he could possibly just have severe temper tantrums as well if there is no extreme behavior on the parents' part and could be trying to make the parents feel bad for punishing him. I knew one kid who held his breathe until he passed out. 2.) some emotional counseling may not hurt. See what the pediatrician says. If it's a behavioral problem he may need some therapy to learn how to express himself in a healthier manner.

• 1 decade ago

This sounds an awful lot like my sister when she was younger. When she would resort to these behaviors we all did what we could to make her happy. That was the worst thing we could have done. She is now 15, and when she gets upset she takes her anger and rage out on everyone else. She has no control and gets upset if you don't let her watch what she wants to on the TV. She was diagnosed as being Bi-polar, and borderline schizophrenic. You should suggest that this child be seen by a pediatric psychologist as soon as possible. The longer this goes untreated, the worse it could become in the future.

• 1 decade ago

usually when a child hurts themselves it is an effort to deal with emotions that they don't understand. if the child is not yelling back at mom or trying to defend himself for something he does not think is wrong chances are it is not the way he is being punished. he is punishing himself for making mom angry at him. he sees it being his fault that mom is not happy. or it could be his way of hurting mom back. i'm sure that mom gets upset when the child behaves in this manner. she probably holds him and tries to keep him from hurting himself. this may feel like forgiveness or reassurance that mom loves him. children learn quickly how to get what they want and every child no matter what age wants to be loved and feel safe. you did not mention uncontrollable crying or holding his breath or hitting mom. i first off do not believe in hitting children. children who are hit become hitters. when the child does something wrong a time out or a loss of some privilege would be better. an explanation of what the child did wrong and why it is wrong also makes the punishment easier to accept. tell the child how you feel about what they did wrong and reassure him that no matter what you will always love him. if the behavior continues you may want to follow the others advice to seek medical help for the child.

Source(s): i have two school age children. i have never spanked either one. one is an national jr scholar that scored the highest on her districts psat and the other is a str8 a student in and advanced ed class and an allstar baseball player and a golfer in the low 90 - high 80s. he is only 10
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Ummm...... I'm not an expert but this could be a form of autism. She may want to have him checked out by the doctors this doesn't sound normal. What type of punishments does she use? Maybe she needs to change punishment. Also, like I said there is something going on with that kid. Have him checked out to be sure.

• Roxie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

How well do you know this "lady"? How well do you know what`s going on "behind closed doors"?

You probably are not with them 24/7, so there must be a bigger picture there.

Does the son seem scared? If yes, I would dig a little deeper!

• 1 decade ago

Maybe try punishing him different in a way he won't hurt himself or what ever

• 1 decade ago

This sounds serious. The boy maybe developin g some serious mental problems. Have your freind take him to a doctor immediately!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think that after she punishes him, she needs to let him know that she loves him, he might think that she doesn't love him, and when she punishes him further he might go into a small case of depression, it might even be worse than that. possibly if things get worse, take him to a doctor, he might be conically depressed, or mentally ill of some sort. or this might just be his way of throwing temper tantrums, and he might get over it when he get older

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, it depends on how she is chastising him.

He is acting out on his emotions of feeling rejected and humiliated, the parent needs to find a better way to correct their child's imperfections.

• 1 decade ago

that actually sounds like the beginings of self mutilation. I think she needs to see about a shrink for her son to nip this in the bud NOW!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.