Dorcas asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What should I do about my neighbors' dogs? The dogs try to prevent me from walking past their house?

The neighbors have a invisible fence which does not always function, allowing the dogs to run into the road.The dogs now seem to consider the road to be part of thier territory. and try to prevent people from walking past the house. Going past the dogs is the only way out. they don't seen to bother cars as much as people on foot. I don't want to give my neighbors a hard time, but I want to go out for walks without these dogs running at me with snapping teeth. I've tried cat food. My husband has tried hands on hips and "Go HOME" which just makes the dogs more agressive . The neighbors are often not home. I occasionally tell them about the dogs' behavior. the nighbors are very nice and appologise and say that the batteries must have been low. I'm considering avoiding trouble by driving my car past the dogs, parking the car on the other side of the dogs' self proclaimed territory, and then going for a walk....but I don't like that idea. What are your ideas?

• Chetco
    Favorite Answer

A can of hair spray will work wonders..Encourage your other neighbors to go out armed with hairspray as well...You don't need to aim at the dogs, but just heavily in the lower air around you..Dogs HATE the smell, and will back off. If it gets in their eyes, it does no more harm than when it gets in my eyes..just stings a minute..no harm done..

I armed my kids with hairspray to walk to school or bicycle in our neighborhood.. Soon dogs stayed far away from them..

If the neighbors see you, no apology is necessary..

Room freshner spray will work as well, but I'm not sure if it as safe for the dogs as hairspray..I know its not too bad, because I get it in my eyes all the time..

the small purse sized one works fine, but must be aerosol

I use the stinkiest, cheapest ones..

Source(s): dog breeder since 1968

I worked as an animal control officer for 6 years. Loved the job... but I have to admit.. little was done about dogs running loose. They will probably take your complaint and then just post the neighbors door. This will create bad blood between you and your neighbor. Who, for some reason, doesn't seem to care much about neighborly relations. But since you do, I recommend you get what's called a stun baton. I have one and you can order them on line. It's an 18 inch baton that has two metal prongs on the end and a metal strip that runs half way down the side. It operates on 2 9 volt batteries with a button on the end for your thumb.

Most dogs do not like the sound of electricity... let alone the feel of it. When you push the button any where from 10,000 to 50,000 (depending on the model you buy) volts of shock therapy pass between the two prongs on the end and down the metal strip on the side. Usually the sound alone works famously at turning angry dogs back. But if the dog persists in harassing you, CONTACT with the prongs or the metal strip will quickly adjust his attitude (leaving no permanent injury). Trust me.. I have adjusted many attitudes with mine.

Tell your neighbors to get an actual fence. It would be nice to get friendly with the dog.. Ask your neighbor for some dog treats and when you walk by, toss them so that the dogs run to fetch them. It's very nice of you to not call the police on them though...as a dog owner myself, I would first tell your neighbors to get a stronger fence before calling the authorities. Tell them that these dogs can get hurt by cars if they're constantly in the roads.

Give your neighbors a hard time!!! These are their animals and they are bothering the neighbors!! What are they waiting for?!?!?! Someone to get bit?? Tell them nicely that if they do not find a way to contain their dogs in the yard so you can safely get to your house, you will call animal control.

It is THERE responsibility to take care of their pets and this includes when the pets are being an nuisance

Well you need to give your neighbors a hard time! And if they don't/won't listen, then call the police. More than likely there are leash laws were you live and they can give the neighbors tickets. I sure would hate to see the dogs bite someone and have to be put down.

Call animal control/council/police next time the dogs are out. It is obvious from your positng that you are not the only ones having problems with these dogs.

As they are getting aggressive, it will only be a matter of time before they bite someone, may even be a child

Contact Animal Cops!

Since you have talked to the neighbors, you should tell them to help you to get to know the dogs, you know pet them, play with them, this way you'll become someone they know, even a friend and this way they won't bother you anymore.

this is when you call animal services or the humane society and report them...they can be finned for not having their dogs on leashes, especially when the invisible fence isn't working....at least its a law where i live...

tell the neighb;ors to do something about their dogs or you will report them to animal control. Those dogs are holding you prisoner. Going for a walk is your right and those dogs are holding you hostage.