What is the most likely culprit for an intermittent squeal when using my GE Profile electric clothes dryer?

My clothes dryer squeals intermittently when in use. I took it apart today and the noise seems to be coming from the drum rear bearing. I plan on buying a new bearing but just wanted to put the question out there in case someone knows of a different possibility for the sound.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't say how old your machine is. However, following the link below to this great appliance repair site. The link takes you directly to someone who described your exact problem You will see the parts and their costs. Also, there is another link below the parts pictures that will take you to step by step diagrams for disassembling your machine and fixing it.

Dryers are the not complicated to fix or repair for the average home do it yourself-er. There is no reason that a dryer shouldn't last 10 to 15 years. I have taken mine down the base and replaced rollers, belts, bearings, etc. The parts aren't expensive and the repair shouldn't be to hard with some basic skills and hand tools. If it is the bearings, it will take about 1 1/2 hours to tear the machine down, replaced the worn parts, and put it back together. Be sure to clean all link for the interior of the cabinet while you have it torn down. I would replace the belt at the same time.

AgedWisdom

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The manufacturers seem to be trying to keep folks from fixing

stuff and so, if its an old GE dryer, it may just be a little plastic

bushing that holds the back of the drum in place. Some of the

newer ones are made by Frigidaire to their specs and have a

ball assy that holds up the back and that may be worn out and

will squeal. It also has a front felt seal with teflon strips that hold

up the front of the drum and this will also squeal when worn out.

A worn belt can make it squeal, but usually just break. The

tensor for the belt may be worn out and will squeak and the

rollers also may squeak. and the motor may squeal if the bearings are shot. If some trash is caught in the fan, it may

squeak or make other horrible noise. Some newer GE dryers

have a plastic support that holds up the front and gets worn

and will squeal or make other racket. So, heres what to do -

Unhook the belt through the access door on the back if you are

lucky enough to have one, some of the newer ones dont have

any and its a *****. Lift the lid on the top and remove a screw

on either side holding the front on and disconnect the wires

after you have unplugged the dryer. Lift off the front and examine

all the things that I mentioned. If you dont feel anything obvious -

run the motor with the drum out. Before you disconnect the

belt - tip out the front panel and see if it has a worn felt seal and

if so, a new one can be glued in place without removing the

belt. Or a plastic support contraption. Good luck and next time

buy a Kenmore dryer with the filter that is removed from the top.

• 4 years ago

If it have been a broken belt the motor would nonetheless initiate and run, it does no longer be loud, like it rather is whilst the drum is popping, yet you could have the flexibility to pay attention it. If the belt had in basic terms jumped off the loafer pulley and became wedged tightly against the loafer physique the result would be notably plenty the comparable, besides the undeniable fact that relying on in basic terms the place the part of belt that generally runs on the motor shaft end became laying, you will get a burning rubber scent after a pair minutes. a procedures and away the main in all probability situation in case you could pay attention a hum and then no longer something, is that the motor bearings have frozen up and could no longer enable the shaft to bypass. a sparkling motor would desire to run between $80 5 - $a hundred and twenty, relying on the kind, and probalby yet another $seventy 5 - $a hundred to place in.

• 1 decade ago

Sound like the rollers for the drum. Mine went completely out after intermittent squeals

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The drum belt could be starting to slip causing it to squeel. Or the ball bearing in the motor could be siezing.

• 3 years ago

Ge Dryer Making Squeaking Noise

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The cost of that bearing may shock you. I bought a re-furbished washing machine cheaper than I could buy a replacement timer. Timer-$92.00 Rebuilt washer-$50.00

• 1 decade ago

check the drum belt

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.