Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it mean to leave my puppy home for a long per of time?

I have a month old puppy who I love so much...... he is such a well behaved puppy. but im at school from 7:45- 2:30... before I go I make sure he has a suffeciant supply of food and water... His favorite toys... and I make sure I have my t.v. were he can see it... I put him in his crate sometimes or in the bathroom with newspapers..... (he goes on the newspapers when im not home) and he almost house trained... we play for 3 hours a day and sometimes he sleeps with or in his crate.... I love my pup with all my heart... he really is my bestfriend

so Is that mean of me to leave him home for 7 hours

Favorite Answer

Well it is very mean...well actually you can't help it. You should take him to one of those like places where dogs go together to play, something like a camp, I don't know the name. If not, to a friend's house or someone of your family. If all of the above are impossible for you to do, then leave him with a piece of your clothing that smells like you so he doesn't feel so alone.

At least I am glad you are doing very good things to keep him safe and well taken care of while you are gone.

Oh yeah, that's the name doggy daycare

And reading the other posts, yes he's too young to be away from his mother, I got my dog when she was 2 months

Even if it feels mean there's nothing much u can do. That's why a lot of ppl tend to buy 2 dogs so that they have company when nobody's ard... but then again not everyone can afford 2 dogs. I guess u're already doing the best that u can. If u have a backyard then maybe leave him in backyard with his toys and water so that he can run ard n exhaust himself out, if there's no backyard then i reckon as long as its a confined area and i think its better to be consistent as to which place it is instead of always swapping btw crate and toilet. Make sure he always have toys and things to do like kongs and stuff to keep him occupied when u're not ard so that he doesn't get too bored or he'll start becoming destructive (chewing, barking, digging etc) when he gets older.

Are you sure you don't mean two-month old puppy? A four-week old puppy isn't even weaned yet.

Regardless, the vast majority of dogs are left home alone while their owners are at work. Some of them have problems with that, but most of them do just fine. If he has food and water and a place to potty he is just fine. If he has toys to play with then he can keep himself occupied. I like Kongs and treat balls, which you can stuff with treats like milkbones or soft chewy treats. They will keep a pup happy for hours!

Don't worry. The most important thing is how much time you spend with your pup when you are home, and it sounds like you're doing a great job with that. Just remember that plenty of exercise is most important, and as he gets older you can spend some time on obedience training.

Good luck!

Dogs are different than cats in that they need more attention and care. They tend to get depressed when left alone for long periods of time. Crates are not meant to keep them in for that long. They need exercise and movement. To love is to either let him go or take him with you. We have to be unselfish towards animals. Maybe you can get a sitter during the day. People do that for a living. It works just like childcare. If you can't do that, then you really should give him to someone that has more time. Sorry!

It sounds like you are doing a good job. Many people have to go to school or go to work for up to 8 hours and leave their puppy / dog at home. It is probably better when you leave him in his kennel / crate than to leave him in the bathroom alone. They can go without food or water for 8 hours. Then your puppy may not need to go to the bathroom until you get back .. if you don't leave food or water out. Good Luck! :)

It's a long time. Is there anyone who can come by and let him out and play with him for a little bit? Housebreaking him will take longer because he is likely to have accidents during those 7 hours until he is much older. Your other option might be to take him to doggy daycare a few days a week, if you have someplace like that in your area. All in all though, I think you're a good owner and your puppy is doing fine with you.

A month old puppy is not old enough to be away from his mother.You may think it's ok now, what are you going to do when one day the crate is not big enough or one day the dog gets totally bored and chews and tears the heck out of your house?

Try putting a voice activated tape recorder so you can hear if he is crying while you are gone. Seven hours really is a very long time but sometimes it cannot be helped.

It helps if you put your nightgown or something with your smell on it where he sleeps. Dogs find that comforting.

Find toys that he really enjoys.

Sounds like you are really a good 'mom' to your dog.

Sounds like a winner to me. He is content to wait for you and isn't crying while your gone? I think you have it under control. I have suggested this before but at Pet co or something like it they have a cone shaped treat dispenser that while the dog pushes and jumps on it, it will give out his favorite treats you have put in. It occupies the pup for a long while. Good luck w/your new friend.

7 hours is too long for a one month old puppy to be alone. Have someone check in on him briefly in the middle of the day, if possible. As he gets older, it won't be necessary.