How would one capture and move a comet?

I've been reading a lot on the terraforming of Mars. One technique several articles I've read suggests to help thicken the atmosphere and warm the surface is to capture a comet, and crash it into Mars, or areobrake it in the atmosphere, or place it in orbit and send down chunks at a time.

I've got a perfect candidate called 81p/Wild 2. It's about 5 Km in diameter and is in an orbit that is close to that of Mars. My question is how feasible/difficult is it to capture then move something of this mass? And how could it be done?

Here's a page with info on the above mentioned comet.

http://www.answers.com/topic/81p-wild

Favorite Answer

I don't see why not. If they can send a probe to look and take pics of a comet, it should be feasible to send more than one to alter it's trajectory and bring it someplace else. The question you have to ask is how hard would a comet have to impact Mars in order to be able to alter the atmosphere? Sending it down chunks at a time wouldn't do anything except slightly humidify the atmosphere for a couple of minutes. To do a major atmospheric change you would have to have a seriously major impact. Either that or a continuous series of impacts. It's been theorized that in our Earth's earliest history, our planet may have been hit by a literal storm of comets, leading to the amount of water and the production of life. Mind you, that's just one theory. Basically what I'm saying though is that I doubt one comet would do much to terraform Mars. I think to do that you will have to do it in steps.

Mostly in museums, these days, so you'd have to do it very carefully.

The military has some Nimrods; they're based on the old comet.

Devil of a thing to hide, though.

We have not put a man on mars yet and you already want to change its' Environment. I guess that is normal because if there really are aliens from other planets they are probably wanting to change ours.

Get Captain Kirk and Captain Picard in a room together and let them slug it out ;-) Use Spock and Data as Referees. :-P