Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternet · 1 decade ago

Can someone give me some facts on high speed internet?

I have dial up right now, but I'm really considering high speed because of the obvious...it's so slow. But is it pricey? How much more than dial up? and is it really any faster? What's the difference between DSL and high speed? THANKS!

Favorite Answer

I can be as much as 20-30 dollars more expensive

DSL is considerably faster than dial up and for about the same price. DSL may not be available in your area so check with your local phone company for more details. Cable broadband like that through Comcast is even faster than DSL but about twice the price.

I guess it depends on what you are using it for and how much time you spend online as to whether it is worthwhile. I recently made the switch to DSL and am very pleased with it.

ALOT faster. There's not really too much of a difference between DSL and cable, IMO, regarding speed. DSL hooks into your phone line, but you can still make and recieve calls. Cable just hooks into your cable outlet. You do not need to have cable tv and can have internet and satellite at the same time. As for the price, most providers offer a special discount to new subscribers for a certain time period, then it usually goes up to about $50.

Low end DSL (768K) is actually less than some dialup ISP's. It depends on your address as to what kind of high speed access is available. There are lots of offers out there for less than $20 per month. I use this web site to find out what is available at an address. http://www.shopfordsl.com/?coxpc_com

Cable internet is also great, and lots faster, but it is a lot more expensive. The 768K DSL is great for most users.

First of all DSL is WAY faster...and you dont get disconnected every 20 mintues.....i used to have dial-up.but it was to slow and had to many disconnections so i switched to Dsl

there are many different types of high speed.. i have high speed through my cable line and i have 3 megabits per second.. its really fast i love it. i think my parents pay around 50 for it, including cable for the tv. dsl comes in through your digital phone line, ithink its about 1.5 mbs, dont hold me to that speed tho.

They are about the same. Cable tends to be a bit faster but nothing that noticable. If you can get AT&T DSL it's dirt cheap now. Only $12.99 a month. http://www.sbc.com/gen/general?pid=7709&CI=BEFREE_...