Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did Jesus Christ have free will, could he have gotten married if he choose to?

Favorite Answer

Hee hee... this reminds me of Family Guy...

Brian: I bet money you'll marry a honey who's pretty and funny... And her name will be Ted.

Stewie: Oh, a gay joke.

Brian: I just work with what you give me.

Yes, because he was fully a man, he could have chosen to do whatever He wanted. But becuase he was also perfect God, He chose not to because He was here on a mission, to free mankind from the clutches of satan. He did just that! People love to speculate about marriage and children and all that, but it is irrelevant because it did not happen. If it had, Jesus could not have done what he came to do. Most don't really understand His purpose in coming. Although He was tempted in all areas that we are, He chose not to sin. He chose to fulfill His Fathers will and plan.

Yes Jesus had free will. He was "a man like us in ALL things but sin". So, in theory He could have married. But in actuality He could not have, because it was not in the will of the Father for Him to do so, and He was in perfect accord with the will of the Father.

Of course He has free will. And He could have married had He chosen to. But He had a Mission to accomplish. That was His priority.

It is interesting that in those days, you could not be a 'good Jew' or a rabbi unless you were married. And the Bible says that at least one person called him Rabbi.

Either way, I don't see how it affects the fact that He completed His Mission of Salvation for all of Mankind.

When Jesus came and took on the form of man he was 100% man & 100% God. He could have done anything he wanted to do. Thats why even Jesus prayed continually to God. He knew in order to fulfill his purpose he had to know the will of God and recieve strength from God to carry it out. All the more example as to why we should earnestly pray without ceasing.

• Ray W

He came to earth for one reason and that was to die for your sins. He was God manifested in the flesh. He could not have got married and raise children because they would have been half human and half God. Philippians 2: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: Philippians 2: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: Philippians 2: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Source(s): www.itchyear.org

He had free will.

He could have called legions of angels to his aid anytime.

Rather, he kept with the desire to prove Satan wrong, and complete his earthly course in the manner that would save all that believe in Him.

He could have married, but chose to do the will of God he was sent to do.

He really could have done anything. He was faced with the same temptations as humans are today- lust, hunger, greed, etc. But he resisted- that's why He was an acceptable sacrifice to take the sins of the world.

Yes, this is why God announced to the world, "This is my son in whom I am well pleased." When Jesus was baptized by John. Jesus could have chosen not to follow God!

Yes Jesus did have free will, In the Garden he said,

Father let this cup pass by me, then in one more breath he said,

Not my will father, but yours.