sqrly asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Any way to help not get pimples when shaving?

I never shaved before, just used a trimmer which never touched the skin really. Now i have to shave for job interviews and im using an electric shaver and it is causing pimples. I already use some lotion/gel thing afterwards. Any technique to help reduce pimples? I heard that once u shave constantly for a while ur skin gets used to it and will stop getting aggrevated... this true? thanks.

Favorite Answer

There's this shaving creme that you can buy online called Coochy. It's made for both women and men (no difference in the type, just unisex). It leaves you bump-free. I suggest the unscented kind. I got the tea tree scent one time and it made me bump-up.

P.S. I have no experience shaving my face. I can only speak of shaving female parts and this stuff works great! I figure it'll work for men's faces too. You can also buy it at the adult stores.

Try shaving in one direction only, not back and forth and don't shave to close to the skin. Make sure you wash your face with soap and water and rinse good and pat dry rather than rub a towel on your face.

After shaving, put some kind of anticeptic like witchhazel etc. You will still get a bump or two, but far less.

DStarr

Black men are more prone to this problem, so much so that the black grooming section of any drugstore will have a "shaving powder" meant to chemically remove hair from males' faces without causing bumps or necessitating shaving at all.

Not true that you skin will get used to it. It can cause nasty pigmented scarring and lesions that don't heal. I've seen it around some guys' collar line. Don't hope for your skin to just get used to razor sensitivity.

Good luck.

I don't know about the skin "getting used to it" but I can tell you one thing, if you use peroxide after you shave or if you use witch hazel, you won't get those small pimples. Give it a try and see what happens. Good luck on those job interviews!

A review of the various hair removal methods is available at http://tinyurl.com/ob6tt