Lisa asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Why do I feel so BAD when I run?

I went running tonight and 10 minutes into it my chest started hurting SOOO BAD even though I was breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth. I slowed down, and tried to breathe in deeper, but it felt like I couldn't reach the peak of breathing (I felt no relief). After a while, I got this feeling of throwing up.

I really want to run and want this to be a GOOD experience, because I am a bit overweight and running would definitely help me lose the weight.

Do you have any advice on how I can fix this?

Favorite Answer

you have to take it slowly....Running is one of the best exercises to lose weight but it can turn out to be your worst experience....To lose weight you need to have fun, love what you are doing, enjoy it...Try to run slowly, you are not racing.....Take lots of breaks....and don't run for more than 15 mns the first 3 weeks than increase the beat slowly to 20, then 25 and so on.....Inhale and exhale as many times possible, it will help...The most important advice I could give you is to take it slowly....You haven't gained the pounds in one day, therefore, don't think you will lose them in one day...Good luck

When i thought i wanted to run I slowly built up to it. I walked 2-3 miles very fast and after the 2nd I would start sprinting to a certain point (maybe 4 mailboxes until i could stop), let me heart rate slow down a little while continuing to walk and then do it again. You did to much for your chest to be hurting. I dont know what kind of build your body is but if you are heavy and havent run before these things sound normal, your body isnt used to it. I remember trying to ride my bike fast up a steep hill and I refused to stop, determined to make it...well I made it but i paid for it. My chest felt like it was going to blow, couldnt catch my breath and I felt sick. I over did it. I know how you felt.

I found that I like speed walking, I break just as good of a sweat, and I am burning lots of calories. Hopefully there are some runners out there with maybe better advice.

Good luck to you! :)

• Paul

You'll probably go out your 3rd time or so, and be like "wow, this is easier". I mean, don't get me wrong, I think running sucks. But, your body changes to make all your bodily functions run smoother while you're running. It takes a night or two.

I don't run at all, but when I was successful at it, I just picked the best pace, regardless of how goofy I looked, or how slow I was going.

There's still going to be days when something will be off, and maybe you can't run as fast as you want to, or get your heartrate/breathing going correctly. But, there's a whole lot of factors going into how well you'll perform. Make sure you're well hydrated an hour before you go out. Eat a small sugary snack before you run, for energy. Those are just a couple of things I can think of.

Yes, actually I have run over a cat, it was once honestly a kitten and it without doubt didn't belong out facet. I just about crashed my automobile looking to prevent hitting it. Afterwards I cried, deficient factor on no account had a risk. I might have felt dangerous if it have been any animal. It may be very silly of you not to care in case your have been to run ANYTHING over. Accidents occur everyday and animals don't seem to be constantly the one factor that will get harm if they're hit by means of a automobile. Only a silly individual might now not do their excellent to prevent animals which get in entrance in their automobiles. People have died whilst animals they've struck with their vehicles have long past via the windshield and struck them. Cars have wanted highly-priced upkeep on the grounds that of harm performed to them . Sure a cat generally would not kill you or harm your automobile, however the following animal you might now not consider dangerous approximately jogging over on the grounds that it bought on your means, could. Just anything to consider approximately.

• Mazz

Dehydration. Drink far more water, at least 3-4 liters/quarts a day.

If you have or are coming dwn with a cold, that will hurt your breathing. If it was rather humid, and possibly foggy, that's like breathing pea soup, and iit's rather bad for you to run in that.

Start out running slower and build up to running harder or longer