How do you "bleach" without using real bleach?

Just moved to a house on a septic system. I've been told that I cant use bleach...yikes...are there any natural alternatives?

Favorite Answer

The sun will bleach whites really good, I also have a septic tank, I use alot of Oxyclean, not sure whats it`s doing to the septic tank though.

Septic systems depend on bacteria to eat the solid materials. That's why RidX is recommended for septic systems. Bleach will kill the good bacteria and you will have to have your septic tank pumped out. If you don't use bleach and use the RidX you can go for years without pumping out your septic tank. Look for cleaning products that do not use sodium hypochlorite (bleach).

Are you talking about cleaning your toilet? We're on septic and just use disinfectant. If your talking about bleaching clothes,etc, I wouldn't worry, unless you pump out your septic to water the lawn, etc.

• Mr.Moo

The sun can do alota bleaching damage

only works on some materials, and takes quite awhile

for specific stains, you can use lemon juice on the spots. in the washer you can use oxyclean. you can also add washing soda to your wash or borax powder to whiten your wash. both are sold in the laundry soap section of the store.

• Tigger

Perhaps borax or oxyclean.

Good luck!