Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What do buddhists benefit from meditation?

What are they meditating on? What is the benefit of this? As a person who believes in God I can understand that meditation helps me to find my place in the universe and how God plays His part, amongst other things.

Favorite Answer

Benefits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation#Health_app...

As for what they are thinking . . . I believe you are using the term meditation interchangeably with pondering. To ponder is to think on a concept. The purpose of meditation is to repeat a sound and empty one's mind all of thought . . . just simply be in the moment. It takes a lot of discipline.

The only way to find the real answer to your question is to yourself plunge into it seriously. If you have not done it yet ask someone who knows how to meditate. Christian way of meditation is to picture an event, something or someone and focus your mind to it. I do not say it is wrong but it just one of many ways to meditate.

The Buddhist way is a silent meditation, unexpecting and unassuming, the only props is yourself in suggested position which may not be so easy at first but through constant practice things may become easy later. Patience is the main key. Benefits is something only you can discover.

That's also what Buddhists find in meditation. It's a practice of quieting the mind so you can "hear" God, the divine, whatever you believe God is. I like to think of it as the opposite of prayer; in prayer to talk to God and in meditation you listen to Him.

Zen Meditation calms me down, and help me concentrate when I'm stress or playing Weiqi. I just have a hard time believing in the cycle of Samsara. I believe in most of it's teaching and even do some practice, but that's just for personal benefit.

Practicing vipassana meditation is studying to know one's own mind . It has nothing to do with any God or any spiritual beings .

One must not let any believe to influence you when you are meditating or you will always dwell in that level without realising the truth of human existence and the condition of your mind .

• Teaim

Zen meditation (zazen) is not really meditation. Instead of activating your mind to focus on a thought or image, you just discipline your mind to be quite.

The benifit is that you have a quite mind.

Who said buddists don't believe in god. It seems meditation has not helped you much since you still assume your flavour of god is the only god! Meditate deeper!

Go to http://www.buddhanet.net for info on buddhists. Meditation is very relaxing for me. Keeps me sane in a mostly insane world.

• besides relaxation, peace and humility they dont gain anything.