KC asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

I got summoned to jury duty, but I go to college out of the city. So I can't make it. What do I do?

The time I am scheduled to serve is when I am at school.

Favorite Answer

I received a summons once when I was a college student. I called the number on the summons and was told the send the included form back stating that I was a student. I was excused. There is probably a similar process wherever you are. Some courts may not excuse you for school.

BTW I'm tired of people saying 'they will reschedule you'. You may be excused from duty, but the court won't rearrange its schedule for you.

• J.J.

Show up to the court prior to your scheduled date when you are in town to explain the situation. Don't blow it off. Failure to appear will result in a summons being issued and delivered quite often by a uniformed officer. It happened to my neighbor this spring and I live in LA. I am Federal Agent and still must appear for the first day of jury duty later this month.

If you are summomed you have to go. Look on the summons, there should be a number for you to call, maybe if you try and tell them you have school they will reschedule you, but eventually you will end up going. It is usually a day if you do not get picked for a case, I have not been called in almost 20 years, last year I got summoned, I was on a case for 3 days, I had to travel almost 30 miles twice a day.

Get teacher/s and school to write a note to ask for you to be excused. I did this for jury duty since I was the only office person my job had and I was excused. Do it as soon as you can.

By law Jury duty takes priority. Your school has no choice but to excuse you. If you don't go you can be charged with failure to appear and contempt of court.

If you truly cannot make it, contact the Clerc where the summoned came from. [the info is on the Simmonds]

You will have to provide proof of hardship.

By the way.....You are missing a great opportunity that most people around the world do not have.....

Source(s): life

Tell them just that. Write to them and tell them that your address is out of town. That should disqualify you, because you can't be on a jury if you live a certain number of miles far from the town

There is a number on the request letter that you can call to request a postponement of your service until you are in your home town. They will do this, but be prepared, when you apply for it they nearly call you the day you get back in town. At least they did in Wisconsin!

Quit your bellyaching and go serve!!!!! DEfense attorneys and prosecutors alike count on the fact that intelligent people don't want to serve so they can get a jury made up of just plain dumazzzes.

You tell them you have a hardship case, and let them know what your hardship is, if need be find someone with authority in your college that could also write a letter that it would affect your schooling.