.
. asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 1 decade ago

How do home schooled students get diplomas? How much does home schooling cost?

• Terri
    Favorite Answer

the laws surrounding homeschool are different for each state. For the specific laws for your specific state, check the home school legal defense website: www.hslda.org

As for a diploma, depends. If you are under and umbrella school, then they can give your child a diploma after meeting their requirements.

If you are on your own, then you will not have a public school diploma, per se, but you can make a diploma to give your child.

Most families I know follow an honors diploma program from the state when choosing credit classes for their children, so when they apply for colleges, the admissions office can see that the student has all the same classes as the ps honors student.

Since HS is so widely accepted and known about now, if you put on a transcript that you took, say 3 years of Abeka high school level science courses and you had a 94 average, most admissions officers will know exactly what you are talking about.

Cost? varies. Umbrella programs and prepackaged curriculum programs can be expensive, as can individual subjects. For example the Algebra I am using for my daughter will run around about 250. that is STEEP! as I spent less than that on my 2nd graders entire year.

So, there is a wide variance. you can get by quite inexpensively if your state will allow you to use the library and teach through literature and living books.

Hope this helps.

any specific advice, for example people that say you can get your books for free or you should go through the state, may either be talking about specific laws for their state or are speaking on heresay.

Check out hslda and go from there.

Best wishes

The parents issue the child a diploma. When I graduated my parents gave me a diploma at our graduation with other homeschoolers in our area. This doesn't affect getting into college as long as students take the SAT and the parents make students a transcript with grades etc on it.

Cost of homeschooling varies. You can do it very cheap by going to used book sales and buying books there. If you do that I would say you can spend $400 and get all the basics. You can also do programs that are more expensive but save the parent work. Abeka and Bob Jones (big book companies) offer programs that come via a DVD or Satelite respectively. The Abeka program is $1000 for all books, test, etc and the DVD's for a year (this is 6 subjects)... Bob Jones is a lil more I believe.

I attended school with The Potters School online which has a very competitive college prepatory curriculum. My classes were around $550/yr each. They offered a WIDE variety of classes that were specialized such as a Tolkein literature class. Roman History, and Astronomy. I personally took Anatomy and Physiology, Functions Statistic and Trigonometry and Physics my senior year. They do go all the way through Calculus and offer advanced biology, chemistry and physics. The school turns out amazing students and offers courses for 6-12. It is more exspensive but worth it for serious students!

Source(s): homeschool student/graduate since 1999
  • glurpy

Getting a diploma depends entirely on where you live. Some or most states require x amount of credits, translating into n amount of hours per subject per credit.

I live in Canada. Parents do not give their children high school diplomas in Canada. It's completely regulated by their provincial or territorial government and students must complete a certain amount of provincial curriculum and achieve a passing grade in each course to get a high school diploma.

As for how much it costs, it depends on what you want to do. You can get a lot of things from the library for English, history and geography, maybe even enough for math and science. But some people prefer purchasing guided materials and go through companies. This can get rather costly, but usually still much cheaper than any private school.

• Diana

It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. Here, there are 5 of us kids aged between 5 and 16 who homeschool and it costs my parents in the region of $200 per year for all 5 of us. The idea of having a teacher come to your house and teach you isn't really homeschooling. That is private tutoring and is the most expensive way you can go. I have no real idea how much that costs but I'd be very surprised if you could get it for much less than $20,000 a year. If your parents think you should have someone to teach you then there are various correspondence schools and cyber schools where you have contact with 'teachers' via email, the web, fax, telephone, home visits, school camps etc. Oh and yes you can go to college if you are homeschooled. Nowadays many colleges and universities are actively looking for students who were homeschooled. My two oldest siblings are both at Uni doing Bsc (Hons) degrees...and they were both homeschooled.

Home schooling can cost almost nothing in the early years, because the basics, like learning to read, and basic math anyone can teach.

All you need is a pencil, eraser, some loose leaf paper, for math.

For literature check your church library or public library for some good wholesome books.

Read to your child as soon as it's born, everyday as they are growing, and when you show your child the pictures they will start to read with you at some point.

In the higher grades if you have a computer and an internet connection that's all you need to add to it.

Teach your child where to find things online.

Bookmark or set up appropriate sites on Favorites that your child can use independantly.

Always be with your child 100% of the time when thay're using the computer.

To do searches, do them without your child present early on, so that if you click on a site that appears OK and anything inappropriate comes up they do not see it.

As they get into their teens sit with them and as they do a search show them which sites appear inappropriate and why, but don't navigate to it in their presence, because even we as adults can be fooled.

As they get older and more able to discern things give them a little more freedom. ALWAYS HAVE YOUR COMPUTER IN A HIGH TRAFFIC AREA OF YOUR HOME. NEVER IN A BEDROOM OR DEN WHERE THERE IS PRIVACY.

The thing about a good education is not knowing everything, but knowing how to find everything you need.

In our area we need to submit a plan to our school division.

If they agree with it, then you can go ahead and start.

ALWAYS check your local regulations.

hsld.org is an excellent site for help and support with the legalities of homeschool education.

Many institutions will gladly accept your child.

If you do not have a diploma of some sort, ALL institutions have to allow your child to challenge the entrance exam and if they pass have to allow your child in.

If you want your child can also enter school as an 'adult'.

This allows them to take several classes each semester, but not a full load of classes.

When they have proven they can do them then they will be allowed take a full course load.

Home schooled students may be issued diplomas in a variety of ways, from accredited distance schools to diplomas issued by their parent-teachers; Most colleges accept these and/or transcripts and standardized test results as proof of ability prior to acceptance; indeed, many colleges actively recruit home-schooled students, as they often demonstrate a higher degree of independence, responsibility, and excellence.

Home Schooling is highly individualized and therefore costs are quite difficult to generalize; also costs will vary by grade level and curriculum choices. In a very general way, you could say that home schooling costs, usually, less than private school but appreciably more than public school.

I do not consider public-school-assigned home based learning to be home schooling, therefore this is not addressed or included here.

Source(s): Home educator/parent

I've heard that you make your own diploma for your child. Unless of course you have them take the GED. I've homeschooled my child for 3 yrs. and the only cost I've had is that I buy a curriculum book of the grade that she is in. They have books that just have assignments or that have assignments and suggestions for lessons. I like the previous ones the best. The ones I have bought in the past are $30 dollars and I usually buy them at Barnes and Nobles. I always go to the library (which I work at) and just browse through and we read whatever subject we feel like that day, animals, science, etc... I live in Ohio by the way.

You have to use an accredited program that will keep records for you and then will send you your diploma. Costs vary, some will do a monthly pay plan with part up front. Abeka does this and was 117/month.

There are two ways to do this. First, my background...I've been homeschooling for several years, and I've worked in the schools, as well. My daughter goes to a provincial school, and my son is homeschooled.

Now...most states require you to take a test, in a regular school, each year. This test is given by each state's school board, same as the fcat. You should join a homeschool group, which is usually provided by the Board of Ed, or created by other homeschool parents.

If your state doesn't have one, you can contact your local school, and they will provide you with basic information regarding that. They will also tell you about the tests that your child is required to take, on a yearly basis.

If this route isn't available in your state, you can simply join the various homeschooling groups, which will give your child a test, at the end of the year. You can also hire a qualified teacher to test your child, at the end of the year. However, you can just have the child take the fcat test, which is free. Once this is done, the process qualifies your child for the next grade, as long as they pass.

After that is done, the child is required to pass the SAT test, in order to enter into college. If they can do that, then, they don't need a high school diploma. However, make sure you keep records of everything they learn. Most school boards require you to keep records for up to two years, the same as any normal school, but they vary, state to state.

You can either have the child take the GED, (for the high school diploma) or they can take the SAT exam at the college of your choice. Some colleges require both. Once done, the child is all set to go.

If you need more information, you can visit your local school board site, and they can give you all the info you need, or you can contact any homeschool group that's listed in your state. If you need a list of homeschool groups for your state, you can usually find them online. Just type in homeschool groups and (fill in your state,) in the yahoo search engine, and a listing should show.

The cost varies, depending on how much you put into the child. Considering the amount of free information, online and off, you can do it very inexpensively, or you can really go all out.

With my son, I use all sorts of various materials. You can go to edhelper.com and sign up for that...very inexpensive, and there, you can download all sorts of materials to use...but don't stop there. There are oodles of software programs to use, books, and resources, online and off, and well...you get the idea, I'm sure.

You can also use the public library, or borrow books from the school library. They allow you to use their resources, in just about every state, except for the grade level books (such as the math book, english, etc.) However, at the school libraries, you can get all sorts of other books, such as books on literature, etc. The things that the children are really studying, in the school system. That way, you know they are studying the same things that other students are studying. In addition, many of the schools allow the child to sit in on specific classes, such as music, art, etc. They can be enrolled in these specific classes only, and not take any others, if you choose to implement it.

Just contact your local school to find out information about those things. If they don't know, contact your local school board, or homeschool association, and they can help you with it. It is a law in most states, that your local school allows any child to use all the resources, available, whether they are homeschooled, or otherwise.

Hope that helps. angel

P.S. If you use edhelper.com, make sure you check all the answers, prior to giving it to your child, since, at times, the answers are off.

I agree with Mimi. Left alone, children are animals. Public school is an animal breeding ground.

Good luck!