Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

I had a pap test, I found out I have have high risk hpv, how long ago could I have gotten it?

I have not had many sex parteners, I was wondering if I could have caught this 16 years ago?

• Alli
    Favorite Answer

You could have had it for years and years before you found out you have it. Since there really are no signs or symptoms of the virus (except warts) most people don't know they have the virus and can go several years before they know they have it.

I have had HPV for over 5 years now. I was diagnosed at 17. I probably had it longer than that, but I found out right after I turned 17 when I had an abnormal pap smear come back.

That's why doctors say it is SO important for women who are sexually active to get a yearly pap smear done. This is the best thing a woman can do to detect any early signs of cervical cancer, like abnormal growth on the cervix.

It is pretty impossible for you to tell who you got it from, especially since you could have contracted it many years ago.

The only thing you can do now is keep on top of your pap smears and stay healthy! Cervical cancer kills about 4,000 women a year and is the second most common kind of cancer in women (after breast cancer)!

Good luck to you!

Source(s): Personal experience. I have had HPV for over 5 years. I have had both cervical cancer and genital warts from it.

You could have, but if you're looking for who to blame, you're probably not going to find him. It can take YEARS for HPV to come up on a PAP smear, even if you got infected 16 years ago. It could also show up the month that you got infected, depending on your body.

I don't want to see you on the six o clock news. Seriously. About 70% of the population has HPV.

impossible to tell. hpv is a transient infection that comes and goes, for young women it is common to get it more than once from different partners or you may have had it for a long time and just never known about it-doctors have only recently begun checking for it routinely. there is no way to narrow it down to who and when you got it.

It is imposible to know for certain, maybe if it´s spread or if the cervix is too damaged or if there are signs of displasya you can get an estimate but I guess you´ll never know for certain.

you should have asked your doctor that when s/he told you that you have high risk HPV. S/he can help you better than we can.

Sounds like you also have a problem remembering to ask your doctor questions.

Work on that and stop sleeping around and you should be ok unless you have aids.

PROBABLY LAST TIME YOU HAD UNPROTECTED SEX