why do motercyclest hand sign each other?

Favorite Answer

It's a gesture that acknowledges a fellow brother or sister that shares the same interest in motorcycles that you do. It doesn't matter which brand you ride, the fact you're riding is all that matters. Oh, and by the way I am a Harley rider and I gesture to other riders no matter their bike choice. I've found that those who don't gesture ride all makes and models. So the guy who answered that Harley riders are too good to wave is just talking out of his exhaust pipe.

It is a way of talking to a fellow biker who doesn't have 2 way communications on his bike. If you know the language you can carry on a conversation to ask for things or directions or warn the other biker of pitfalls ahead of him. A book by BLANE KAMP , Motorcycle Sign Language at Patterdale Publications 641 Lake Street Holland Michigan 49424 might help.

all motorcyclists look to each other as brothers and sisters. We hand sign each other to say hello and as a sign of respect to each other. I must admit though there are some riders out there who are just plain snobs (BMW and Harley Davidson riders mostly) who think they are above everyone else but this is a very small group of riders.

• bill b

I'm a Harley rider and I give the biker wave to every biker I pass,it doesn't matter what you ride.We all have one thing in common"the love of riding" and that's worth jumpin' up and down and wavin' both hands.I may talk a little crap on here about rice grinders but as long as you're ridin', you're ok in my book.

• Sal G

We acknowlege each other on the road by waving to fellow riders.

-I ride a sportbike and most times Harley and cruiser guys will ignore me and not wave. They blame us for all the negative motorcycle legislation such as the use for helmets and high insurance.

-We all have one thing in common, though. We are weary of cagers (cars).

Get a bike, any bike, ride in traffic regularly for a few months and if you live you'll know the answer

Cyclists,like RVers and many other groups consider themselves a Brotherhood,when you share the same interest.

its a sign of respect between riders we are a freindly group .

It's the secret club wave.......kinda like a secret handshake.