happydawg asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

I am 42 yrs old and assuming my child bearing days are over. What kind of birth control should I use?

It has been years since I have had to take birth control and now I am just plain dont know what kind of birth control I can use.

I do not smoke and thought about birth control pills.

Any 40 yr olders with suggestions. I dont want surgery.

I was hoping someone would answer and tell me about something great they used.

I have heart disease, hypertension and have not been married or on birth control since my 26th birthday.

My last birth control was a diaphragm in 1990. Now they have everything from patches to shots to new IUD's

Favorite Answer

In my opinion, age has nothing to do with it...

You must choose a contraceptive method that you are comfortable with and will use consistently. Discuss your options with your MD. Remember it's always YOUR choice after being informed of the options you can work with..Good luck!!

First of all your child bearing days are not over so you should go see your doctor and determine what is the best option for birth control for you.

I am sure at 42 you know what is on the market. Nothing much has changed since the last time you would have had to use it.

The Internet is a good place to start..... all you need to do is type in your browser... CONTRACEPTION and by magic a whole list of sites pops up and you can read up about it.

think about the mirena iud, the pill is also a good choice if you are an appropriate candidate (non smoker, no high blood pressure, diabetes, migraines, talk to the doctor) the pill is great and controls cycles very well, but you have to remember it every day. the mirena iud is put in once and you forget about it for 5 yrs. it will result in very short light periods-you may not have periods at all. only real problem is some spotting in the first few months but this is temporary. i would stay away from the depo shot-too many bothersome side effects

You could consider the pill. If you're in good health, with no history of high blood pressure, blood clots, heart attacks, strokes, you don't smoke and are physically active, you probably would still be considered a candidate for the pill. Alternately (assuming the above is clear), you could also try the shot.

There is also a relatively new sterilization method called Essure. Its a non-surgical tubal blockage technique.

I am 44 years old and I have been using the Pill for thirteen years. The past nine years I have been using the low-dose pills.

If you have no health conditions and don't smoke, I would go for the Pill. It's the most convenient method on the market. Though there are several brands and strengths, plus each brand effects you differently.

Talk with your gyn to find out the best method for you.

If you have hypertension, horomones are probably not an option for you but, you might be able to get the 'mini-pill' if you are set on taking a pill. It's progestin only so has less of the effects that combination pills have but, it's also not as effective. What about a IUD?

A man with a vasectomy! Seriously, you have to find something that you can comfortably use. My friend's 4 children were all concieved while she was using a diaphram. My doctor told me that unless I was having sex 6 times a week, DO NOT go on the pill, the health risks were not worth it. (No, I do not smoke.) You need to do a lot of research, and talk to your doctor. Good luck.

you could try the nova ring, its a ring that fitt into ur vagina. you wear it for 3 weeks (you are protected) take it out for 1 (lets u have ur period that week but you are still protected) i like it it leaves little room for error

Source(s): personal experience