Is it too late to plant tulip bulbs in Palmer, Alaska???

It's 50 degrees today, cold and rainy. I have 80 bulbs to get in the ground, and the package says September through October for the top 1/3 of the Lower 48. Would I be wasting my time if I put them in the ground this weekend???

Favorite Answer

I agree with everyone whose answered your question, last year I planted tulip bulbs in January and they bloomed this spring and I live in the mountains of West Virginia and it was a day exactly like the one you described. It got pretty for a few days and I just decided to give it a try, like the man said tulips are very hardy. Good luck and keep growin'.

• corl

this is definitely the appropriate time to plant tulip bulbs. Plant them six to eight inches from the suited of the bulb, for the huge flowered kinds.The species kinds in many cases are planted a sprint shallower. you are able to definitely plant them any time you may get a shovel into the floor, I even have offered them on clearance and planted them in January, and that they have got been large. They bloomed particularly overdue, tho, not till would. right here 12 months they bloomed on time.

The best time is right around the Palmer fair. but since you are thinking about it now. I have to say that it wont hurt. just make certain that you cover them well and I would mulch over the ground in that area after your done. If you have a hard winter this year they may take a while longer to come up but still should do fine... after your done head out to the polac farm and have a pickle for me. Good luck.

I'd say you have chosen a good weekend. As long as you can still work the soil, and the bulbs have at least 14 weeks to stay at or below 40F, you're in good shape.

no its not too late. You just need to plant them as soon as U can. The bulbs need just a bit of time ( apx. 4 weeks) in the ground before it freezes solid.

Might as well give them a try. They need a few weeks to establish a root system, or they won't be able to bloom next spring. In a few more weeks, I'm afraid you guys will be under snow up there. Worth a try though.

Source(s): I spent about a year in Anchorage.

Put them in, tulips are a hardy race.

Source(s): Dutch girl.

YES, I live in Wasilla and you plant them in the spring.

Source(s): I live 12 miles from Palmer, Alaska