jerrri
jerrri asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Can I use nylon strings on an acoustic guitar?

I am learning to play the guitar, but I'm having alot of difficulty because the strings are hurting my fingers. I have heard nylon strings are easier for beginners to use. But aren't they for a different sort of guitar? Can I use them on an acoustic guitar? Any other ideas to keep my fingers from hurting so much?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Thats part of the learning process, getting calouses on your fingertips. It doesn't take long, hang in there. Make sure your strings and bridge and neck are set up for the lowest action and be sure you have the guitar tuned correctly. If you tune it to too high of a pitch the strings will have more tension and be harder to press.

Musical style speaks volumes when it comes to this issue. Those who want high volume will be unhappy with unamplified nylon string guitars. From my perspective, the basic difference between steel and nylon is this: steel strings ring and nylon strings resonate. The volume produced by steel is generally much greater than nylon but, to my way of thinking, the sound resonance produced by the wood of your guitar is largely masked by steel strings. If you have a decently made guitar (generally, around a thousand dollars and up), the sound interplay between the wood and the strings in a nylon guitar is magical across the entire frequency range. With a steel string guitar, the sound produced by the vibrating string overpowers the wood resonance at all but low frequencies. Personally, I'll take a nylon string guitar any day for the sensitivity gained from the interplay between wood and vibrating string.

Only if you have a classical guitar. You can't use nylon strings on a guitar meant for steel strings.

personally i dont like nylon strings..the sound isn't as good as steel strings.

Getting callouses on your fingers is part of the learning process..when i was first learning my fingers bled a few times..they hurt..but in the end it's way worth it.

Good luck! :)

Yes you can.

They make ball end Nylon strings.

I don't advise it, but it can be done.

If it's because your fingers hurt, buy a bottle of super glue and put a small amount on the tips of your fingers. let it dry before you touch anything. Instant callous.

If it's not a classical guitar you can't. Use a lower gauge string (less tension).

it won't work right since it wasn't made to be a classical guitar to begin with. go to guitar center. maybe they have a softer string for you to use?

Yes some come equipped with them. If it originally had them on it, then yes. If it came equipped with steel strings then by all means put steel ones on.