I enjoy making homemade products. Are there any federal rules I must follow in order to sell them online?

I enjoy making things such as perfumes (the old-fashioned way), and I love photography. Hopefully, I can start to sell these online. However, I need to know if there are any restrictions or certifications I need in order to do so.

Favorite Answer

Download the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). I think it probably includes the Toxic Substances Control Act and The Food and Drug Act, but TSCA and FDA would be things to check also, if not in CFR.

Enter "perfume" and each ingredient as keywords to search in the document(s).

I doubt you will have any regulations to follow, besides shipping flammable liquids, perhaps, unless you buy raw materials in large quantities.

You will want to research whether you need Material Safety Data Sheets and if so, what must be included. If you have to create MSDS's and list everything, you may be able to give a trade-secret registry number to conceal the type and amount of ingredients in a proprietary formulation.

There aren't any regulations regarding photography, except those that might apply to anything considered pornographic. I don't know about perfume--it would probably depend on the ingredients you use, and whether any of them are regulated in any way.

Just be aware of copyright, and trademark infringements.

The items you use should have identifying marks on them, but if you're not sure there are websights you can looks things up on.

She has to be over 18, you have to have signed consent form maintained.

• garyp

Ignore the feds. Do what you want. They are so busy molesting little boys they won't notice you.