Marquis de Sade - Which one of his translated books is the best to read?

Favorite Answer

Philosophy of the Bedroom.

When a person gets a term (sadistic-sadism) named after him. When a concept from his play (when the inmates take over the asylum) is still in use, I would say it is worth looking into. I've seen his play , and movie version of the play about the asylum, the name is about 15 words long, and my memory isn't. The book Justinne is a good place to start. Remember that you will be getting into the mind of a man that was a non-conformist and possibly mad, then again go into a Adult Store and see that some of his practices' are still in use today. Why are so many people into Gothic? He wrote essays about it at the time. The Bedroom is pretty gross, but read it anyhow. Just keep a open mind.

Depends what you're looking for in these books. 'Justine' is the more philosophical aspect of Sade's works. It's the story of a girl who insists on believing on the basic goodness of man and God, and has all sorts of terrible things happen to her as a result, including becoming a sexual plaything for a group of decadent monks.

Philosophy in the Bedroom and the 120 days of Sodom are his most graphic works. It's not for the faint of heart. It's... well, sadistic. There are various graphic depictions of torture, humiliation, rape, sodomy, etc..., etc...

It`s not the greatest literature ever written, but every reader becomes curious about Sade at one point or another. Worth looking into. I wouldn't take it too seriously, though.

Also, you might be interested in the works of Leopold von Sacher Masoch, especially Venus in Furs. He's the counterpart of the Marquis de Sade. We get the word masochism from him. He was more interested in being humiliated, beaten and dominated himself. That book just got sicker every time I turned the page. Couldn't put it down.

Enjoy.

I truthfully simply noticed the film a few days in the past and fell in love with it. I heard approximately Marquis earlier than however was once under no circumstances particularly fascinated with his paintings till now. I'm curious to look what humans write right here considering I'm within the equal boat as you. Joaquin was once unbelievably lovely in that film, I moment that.

It's like reading a really glum, self-important Balzac. Skip it and read some Philip K. Dick.

Ugh! NONE of them!! I don't think there's anything remotely good about them.