Why is it forbidden to take a computer out the of US?

I just a got a Dell computer and the guy told me that and ive heard of it before. And i was wondering why??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Taking a computer out of the country is not illegal per se. Exporting certain technologies to certain countries is. Your computer may contain 'restricted' technology. I no certain encryption software is subject to these restrictions. Your Internet browser probably qualifies.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I work for the government and have lived over seas for the last 7 years in 3 different countries. I travel A LOT and take my lap top everywhere as do many many other travlers that I see. I have never heard this. But, I can tell you that when I travel I do not hide the fact that I have a computer with me and never ever have I had anyone question me. This may be urban legend. I do think that companies like Dell will not make overseas sales with online purchases..but that does not mean that you can not take your computer once purchased wherever you want!

• 1 decade ago

I take mine to China three times a year,

• beez
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I see people traveling with laptops every time I enter and exit the U.S.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's paranoia mostly and of course there are some other reasons that might take up space .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It has to do with licensing agreements for the hardware and software.

• 1 decade ago

you can with PC's. belive it or not gaming systems, PS2 xbox, much harder

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.