How bad is the bullying problem for LGBT students? What's the impact on LGBT youth?

Favorite Answer

Violence, bullying and harassment are the rule and not the exception in America's schools. According to GLSEN's 2003 National School Climate Survey,

4 out of 5 LGBT students hear homophobic remarks often in their schools.

39% of LGBT students report being verbally or physically assaulted, often with a weapon and transgender students reported physical harassment 30% more than students that identified as lesbian, gay, or bisexual.

Nearly 1 out of 3 LGBT students skipped school in the past month because they were simply too afraid to go.

I was always bullyed and I wasn't out then. So, the impact of being gay in a school that bullying is a everyday thing can cause a problem ...violence.

There are alternative schools for GLBT students just they are hard to find.

The problem is serious enough . The impact of youth effect : 80% and thats in texas alone....

Well, at the high school I attended a transman was outed by the administration. He got harrased until he changed schools in under 8 hours.

It's not all GLBT, it's every one who never fit in. Bullying happens to every one, and in every school. I have many straight friends who were harrassed or assaulted. Some thing has to be done about it, not just for gays but any child who goes to school

it has a terrible impact as their sexuality seems to b the joke check my bullying site (its my profile name)

we have alot of gay people in my school but ive never heard anyone say anything about it when they were in the same class