Can drugs ruine your chances of pregnancy?

My partner did drugs.

The thing is he did drugs in the 80's. he's now 31.

Favorite Answer

I am sure that there can be an affect on the outcome of the pregnancy if there were drugs involved. Not only street drugs, but prescription drugs as well. I know this from experience because my husband was on a prescription and then I became pregnant, the baby died in the womb at 3 months gestation because there were pieces of the genetic puzzle that were damaged and missing. I think that it can cause defects as well and there really are a lot of risks involved, good luck to you!

• mjdp

More to thee point the baby would be at risk of not being normal. If your partner is not actively getting help for his drug addiction, leave now. You will only enable his disease.

You cannot rescue him.

You run the risk of having a life of hell.

If it is truly behind him, which nobody can guarantee, then it may be a different story but still a risk of relapse.

Well, there's some risk that taking drugs can harm the fetus. I believe that's even been found if it was the father who did drugs, due to damage to the sperm.

I had a friend who was experiencing infertility in his marriage, and they advised him to stop smoking pot, and that did help.

If he was a heavy drug user that can actually have an affect on the mobility of his sperm.

If he was casual than there really isn't going to have much damage.

Yes, but since it was your partner it might cause his sperm count to be low

Have him check wiht his doc and make sure that he is honest when talking to the doc

Good luck

yes....and more importantly they can cause problems with the child...i have a son, hes 5. His birth father was an alcoholic and into a bit of drugs, my son has ODD(oppositional defient disorder) its very difficult to deal with, but it cause also cause other disorders and learning disabilities.

yes it can. my nephew is on drugs and he just found out that his unborn son who is due the 20th is going to be born early with collappsed lungs, his first and second ones also birth defects. be care ful.

Oh heck yes, they can do a lot to the unborn child. Birth defects, asthma, brain damage, premature birth etc.

It won't ruin your chances but it might mess up the baby. the baby will most likely be deformed, premature, or have problems with things.

I suppose it could cause him some problems but if it's been a while, I can't imagine it would be a last effect. But what do I know?