What did you do to make your labor start?

I'm talking once you were already at full term? I'm looking for some unique and creative ideas from other moms. Thanks ladies!!!!

Favorite Answer

My first two babies each arrived 5 days late, so I feel your pain... My OB/GYN made the following 4 suggestions: 1) get driven down a really bumpy road, preferably having to cross railroad tracks, the idea being to shake things up and annoy the uterus; 2) have unprotected sex with your partner, apparently there's prostaglandin in semen, which can cause the cervix to "ripen", and prostaglandin gel is put on the cervix prior to induction; 3) take castor oil, it REALLY irritates the bowel, and since the uterus is in contact with the bowel during late pregancy, the hope is that the uterus will be stimulated to contract; and 4) go to the mall and walk, especially on stairs, I think the idea there is to get gravity working for you.

As for personal experience, I ran for a subway 3 days after my due date, and spent several hours at malls. My pelvis kept hurting at a mall (day 5), but I wasn't contracting so I blamed the run. Turns out I was in labor. Got in the car @ 5:23, had a contraction as soon as I sat down, was 5 min. apart on drive to hospital, got to hospital @ 6:30, delivered @ 7:44. My money's on the mall, but it may take awhile, so wear really comfy shoes.

Good luck!

Hey i'm a mother of 6 and i have tried meny different ways to start my labor and what really works is drinking 4 oz of castor oil at once,you might want to drink it with rootbeer soda,it helps it to go down a bit easier.This really works because it gets your digestive track moving (be near a toilet) what that does is rub against your uterus and stinulates contractions.It can't hurt the baby, when you start to contract you should start walking so you can keep them coming and get into a better pattern,cause once you go to the hospital if your contractions stop your going back home.It does the trick.

You can try rubbing the area of your hand at the point where your forefinger and your thumb meet on both hands. This area is called hegu, it's the meridian point that is used in acupuncture/pressure to help induce labor and make labor shorter. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but in massage school we are told never to touch that area on a women in her first trimester because there is a small chance of miscarriage. My teacher told me that he had his pregnant clients who were within 2 weeks of their delivery dates, and all of them had very short labors. Good Luck!!

At 38 weeks, I asked my dr to strip my membranes- the next morning I lost my mucus plug, and my beautiful daughter was born 15 hours later. Also Red Raspberry Leaf Tea has been known to get contractions started on their own. :) Best of Luck to you!

with my first i went full term plus five days,to try and get it moving, i done this, in the one day and it nearly killed my but i had along walk (more like waddle mind u) came home had hot curry for tea followed by warm bath and small gin and tonic...next day waters broke day after that my son arrived.... loads of peeps told me to try them one at a time but that wasnt working... i believed at the time doing them all in the one day definately shifted him!! plenty of sex aswell helps although it may be the last thing you feel like..if all that doesnt work u may give up and wait it out...it will come when its ready..nothing shifted my daughter 3months ago i went full term plus ten days.

good luck

Lots of walking, Cinnamon tea, but I think the sex worked. Nothing too creative, just what I did. I actually don't think anything worked, I think it was just time for her to come.

Mine were pretty much run-of-the-mill methods.....

Walking for hours with my first and third.

Sex triggered labor with my daughter.

My last baby was induced by my doctor on my due date because I didn't want to wait any longer.

However, my boss told me that her sister induced labor by going bowling!

At 37 weeks I begged my doctor to induce me, she wouldn't she said I had to be 38 weeks. I asked her to check me, she did. She said she scraped the membrane and that might help. Next day I had my baby. It didn't hurt and I know others who had it done. But you can try the Castor oil, I heard that works too.

i went over with my first child and had to be induced

the second i went over and i really jsut wanted to have my water break and stuff naturally

i heard about castor oil - a few tablespoons and it worked within 24 hours i went into labour!

but it can also get ur bowels happening

best of luck

• My doctor told me to have sex. My husband was afraid he would hurt the baby. I had to talk him into it. I guess it did work, it only took two days.