Slow Poke asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 1 decade ago

How much does a freight train weigh??

I'm sure it varries. Does anyone have a ballpark figure?

Favorite Answer

Locomotives weigh anywhere from 120 to 240 tons each, depending on the size. Mainline units are the heaviest, switcher units and yard engines are the lightest.

Rail cars can weigh anywhere from 30 tons (empty) to 140 tons (loaded) each. Special cars designed to carry extra heavy loads can weigh well in excess of 200 tons. Generally speaking, these loads are special moves, given their heavy weight, and usually require special handling.

The heaviest train I've ever had was around 13,000 tons. Generally speaking, though, most are in the 3,000-8,000 ton range.

Source(s): 3rd generation railroader
  • gorgo

Weight Of A Train

Train Weight

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How much does a freight train weigh??

Source(s): freight train weigh: https://tr.im/WLXIe

The Mendip Rail Jumbotrains are the heaviest in the UK with a loaded weight of up to 4000t. They are some of the heaviest trains to be hauled by a single locomotive in the world.

Some of the lightest are Direct Rail Services with a load of only 150t hauled by two locomotives - but in that case its more the regulations for hauling the cargo that mean it must be hauled by two engines seperately from other freight - A nuclear flask!

All good answers. Good luck trying to pick a best.

But, "Bad bus driving wolf" definitely identified some of the heaviest, which are actually in China, and at least one line there operates freight trains at 23,000 long tons (metric tonnes).

I know they weren't Kamikazes, but, Cheesus K. Reist...........

I believe New Zealand had a 1000 tonne limit, but I am in China and my guess is their trains are well over this. I was on a train that had to stop and let another pass. It took a minimum of 15 minutes to pass by and was going a minimum of 10 km / hr.

A full load of coal hoppers or open gonds of about one hundred thirty cars weighs in at about 19900 tons! Hope this helps

I might suggest you to try this website where you can get rates from different companies: http://COVERAGEDEALS.NET/index.html?src=5YAwkrcuQT...

RE :How much does a freight train weigh??

Follow 10 answers

Source(s): I might suggest you to try this website where you can get rates from different companies: http://COVERAGEDEALS.NET/index.html?src=5YAwkrcuQT...

The engine itself weighs about 150 tons, each box rail car weighs about 90 tons on avg..Look at the writing on the side of the cars as they go by, it usually gives the weight of each car