MC
Lv 5
MC asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 1 decade ago

OK, why can't we drink juice that has been poured over dry ice?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqJgX...

I was planning to make "witch's brew". Does the dry ice make it toxic or something?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Dry ice is carbon dioxide. That's the stuff you breathe out, as well as the stuff that's in carbonated soft drinks. It's not toxic (though if you fill a room with carbon dioxide and displace the oxygen, you can die -- but it's from suffocation, not from poisoning.)

    Dry ice IS very cold, though, and if any of it touches you it can give you immediate frostbite. So handle it with tongs or with heavy gloves.

    You can safely use dry ice in a beverage, however, as long as you are VERY, VERY careful to make sure none of it gets into the drink cups. So if you're planning to do this for a kids' party, make sure a responsible, attentive adult is serving the "witch's brew."

    The dry ice will make your beverage very cold. The brew will "steam" and "boil" while the chunks of dry ice are in it. When the dry ice finally sublimates (that is, goes directly from solid to gas without stoppping at liquid), it will all have gone in the air, leaving no residue in your brew.

    We have done this many, many times, both at private parties and at the annual Hallowe'en Carnival at my daughters' school. As I say, the trick there was to make sure that an adult was always the one pouring the punch (we used regular red fruit punch) so that nobody accidentally got a chunk of dry ice in their punch. That WOULD have been bad.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Dry ice is very cold, it would probably freeze the juice. Dry ice carbon dioxide, and it sublimates (changes from solid to gas with no liquid phase in between). It can displace the oxygen in the air in the immediate vicinity, so basically you can suffocate.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You can drink it, you just don't want to drink it while there is dry ice still in your cup because you could suffocate from the CO2 or freeze your lip/mouth/etc..

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Dry ice is liquid CO2 and is very very cold - cold enough to burn you!

    chances are the juice will probably freeze over partly and spoil

    GOOD luck though ;-)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    you can drink it! we do every halloween! just make sure there is no dry ice pieces in your cup, it would burn you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Toxic?..no..it will burn you.due to the extreme cold

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You CAN. Just be careful.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    well what do you think duh

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.