why ac in home won't cool?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no way of answering this question, Please tell us what its doing and not doing.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, that is often easy to figure out. Lets review a couple things to check.

#1 Is there power to the outdoor unit ?

#2 Is there power to the indoor unit ?

#3 Is there power to your thermostat ?

#4 Is the blower motor running on the indoor unit ?

#5 The filters are clean and you do change them once a month, right ?

#6 Is the fan on the outdoor running when the unit is on ?

#7 Has your service guy stopped by for your bi-annual servicing ? You do have a service contract don't you ?

Here is my point, you probably can figure out the answers to the first few questions, but all the things should be checked. If you are not trained in these things, it is possible to cause more problems.

You can have a service guy come over and tell you what is wrong for $60 to $100. This is a comfort product and if you are able to have it, you should be able to afford a pro to come help you.

In my area we sell a twice a year service contract for $120 - $175. For this price we will come to your home and go through your entire system and replace your filters.

• 1 decade ago

You're either have low (or no) freon pressure, or your system has froze up. There's also the chance your thermostat has ceased to be and you need a new one. Check to see if there is any ice on both your outside unit and the inside part of the system. This may require you to remove the cover. If it is frozen, turn the system off long enough for things to thaw out (2-5 hours). If it freezes again, have your freon pressure checked. Most A/C's aren't recommened to cool below 70.

If I had to bet, I'd bet your freon was low.

• 1 decade ago

If this is a house, go outside and see if the thing with the fan on top has ice all over it if you look inside (don't stick your fingers in there) - there will be bottle looking thing that may have a sock over it. If it's frozen, call an A/C repairman.

Did it ever cool properly? It may not be sized correctly in the first place.

Also, if it hasn't had maint. in a while, it may need a good cleaning by a professional.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is such a vague question. Window or Central? How old? Does the compressor run? Is the house fan working? How about a little, no, a lot more information.

• 1 decade ago

maybe you need to change the filter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.