MousieZ asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

mee krob rad nah?

There used to be a restaurant in Berkeley,California called The Plern, I think it was a Thai restaurant (I may be wrong, it was a long time ago)

They had a wonderful dish with seafood and beef and pork, with crispy noodled called Mee Krob Rad Nah...the memories of the flavor stay with me, it was wonderful.

Does anyone know the recipe?

I have found Rad Nah...or Rad Na, but it is not the same.

I hope someone can help me!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hope this helps:

MEE GROB RAD NAH (Crispy Rice Noodles with Gravy)

Ingredients:

For 2 servings

200 g. ( 7 oz.) rice noodles, soak in water until soft

1 cup chicken, cut into bite-size pieces

1 cup kale, cut into bite-size pieces

1-2 tbs. fermented whole soybeans

2 tbs. white soya sauce

1 tbs. oyster sauce

1 tbs. sesame oil

1 1/2 tsp. sugar

2 tsp. garlic, finely chopped

2 tbs. tapioca flour

3 cups. water

4 cups. vegetable oil

Preparation:

1. In a deep frying pan, heat the oil. Deep fry the rice noodles until crispy. Remove and set aside.

2. In a pot, heat the sesame oil and saute the garlic until golden. Add the chicken and kale. Stir-fry until done.

3. Add water and bring to boil. Season with sugar,white soya sauce, oyster sauce and fermented whole soybeans.

4. Dissolve tapioca flour in some water. Add into the pot. Stir until the mixture becomes like gravy. Remove.

5. When serving, place the crispy noodles on a serving plate and top with the gravy. Accompany with cruet containing dishes of chilli powder, sugar, fish sauce and Phrik Nam Som (pickled chillies in vinegar) for individual adjustment.

Note : Beef, pork or mixed seafood can be used instead of chicken.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Mee krob is a fun dish to present to friends, as the crispy noodles are very unique and unlike anything you find in traditional American food. It's fairly time-consuming to prepare but well worth it. The authentic sweet/sour sauce offers wonderful, exotic flavor. It can be served without the pork and shrimp for vegetarians. In Thailand this is prepared in a wok but we used a pot to fry the noodles which worked well, and a skillet to fry the other ingredients. See pictures below.

Ingredients

6 ounces rice vermicelli noodles (sen mee)

2 eggs, beaten

3 tablespoons of thinly-sliced pickled garlic

3 tablespoons shallots (small red or purple onions), sliced thinly

4 ounces of pork, such as tenderloin or pork rib meat

4 ounces of medium shrimp, shelled and deveined

Sauce

1 tomato, sliced and diced

2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate mixed with 5 teaspoons water

2 tablespoons lime juice

2 tablespoons crushed palm sugar

7-8 kaffir lime leaves, very finely shredded

1 tablespoon fish sauce

Garnish

Thinly sliced green onions, and sliced red and green jalapenos or bell peppers.

1/2 cup hard tofu, cubed and fried.

Method

Heat about 3 cups of vegetable oil until very hot (preferably smoking). While it is heating, crush the noodles in a plastic bag. Drop the noodles, a small quantity at a time, into the hot oil. They immediately puff up and turn golden brown, it's quite remarkable, be quick to remove at once with a slotted spoon or a wire strainer. When all the noodles have been cooked and set aside to drain on paper towels, drizzle the egg into the oil to form a ribbon of cooked egg, then take it from the oil and chop it up. Finally deep fry the pieces of tofu until golden brown and set aside.

Now pour off and reserve all but a little of the oil, and stir fry the garlic pickle and shallots. Next stir fry the pork until firm and cooked to your taste. Stir fry the shrimp briefly until they turn pink. Mix the cooked ingredients, except the tofu, and transfer to a serving platter. Combine the ingredients of the sauce, and place it in a small bowl. Spoon the cooked ingredients over the noodles, then ladle the sauce it over the food. Garnish, serve and enjoy.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.