got an easy way to connect my laptop and desktop?

I was wondering what the easier way to connect my desktop and laptop would be (I'm looking for a way where I don't have to use an old mp3 player (that works as a HD) to move files between the two ---I can just plug something between them and poof)

On the back of my laptop I've got a network and modem port, and I looked at the desktop and all I've got is a network port and that's where the internet connection is in

I know that's not alot of info, but I'm not DYING to know, it would just be nice.

Favorite Answer

one way would be to us the USB to USB cable it is about $30 and you could still get online and you would have a little network with out having to buy a router.

Here is a link that tells you about it

I'm assuming you don't have a router or hub, so you can use what is called an ethernet cross-over cable. If you can't buy one, simply take a straight cable and cut one end off. Now make the pin-out like this:

1 to 3

2 to 6

3 to 1

4 to 2

the other 4 wires can be put in random locations

Now you can put an IP address on one computer, such as 192.168.1.1 and put 192.168.1.2 on the other. Now using windows, set both to workgroup "anyname". You should be able to get files from either computer by clicking start, run and \\othercomputername\c$

If both computers have the same accounts setup you will get a window of the files on the other computer's c drive. I am assuming windows 95 or higher.

You will lose your internet connection while you are doing the file transfer, so the simplest solution is purchase a switch and plug both computers into it and the switch into the modem. Now you have a permanant setup with internet access.

there is somthing called a usb transfer cable, which is a double sided usb cable and it will allow you to transfer cables between your two computers. I got one at walmart, but you could probably find it at circuit city, bestbuy, radioshack, and all other electronic stores

there is a proram called multiplicity for windows and it lets you use 1 mouse and 1 keyboard to control bolth there is a free version one u have to buy so uhhhhh...yah...

usb cord