I've heard that people used to inhale Ether as a pain-reliever. Is this effective? What else do you know

about Ether.

Favorite Answer

Doctors used to use ether ,inhaled, as an anesthetic. I had it to have my tonsils taken out around 1950. I know that I had a sore throat afterwards, but that is probably due to the surgery. There are also cases of doctors using it as a recreational drug, inhaling it to escape reality. It is extreemly flamable and caused operating room fires. Many other anesthetics are used today which do not burn.

Source(s): retired science and health teacher

Ether (the common name for diethyl ether) was once used as an anesthetic, but has been replaced by nitrous oxide.

Ether is highly flammable and highly volatile. Generally speaking we don't put organic solvents in our body. The body naturally uses nitrous oxide anyway.

people use to use it in place of anesthesia. I've heard it makes you feel really sick

yes thats true but you will have painful headache after that,,lol