I have a horizontal barrel smoker and i cant seem to get the inside temp over 150 degrees anyone know why?

It has a side firebox and ive played with the vents but still cant figure it out. any tips?????????????

Favorite Answer

I did some searching on the Internet for you and found a website that looks like it has all the information you need. Check out the link below.

One of the things you need is dry wood, and the type of wood you use is going to effect the flavoring of your meat. Also, horizontal smokers do not heat up the same way that regular outdoor grills do. They take more time (around 1.5 to 2 hours) until they are ready for you to put your meat in and start cooking. Wow, talking about having to plan ahead or a long prep time!

Anyway, I hope it helps answers your question and gets you to cooking some great smoked BBQ. Enjoy!

Smokers take quite a while to build up temperature, and the balance of too much vent, not enough vent is tricky. Are you using charcoal or wood, or both. You need enough vent to supply the fire with oxygen, but not enough to draw so much air that it cools itself down. I would suggest using charcoal as a base, and throw some smoking chips directly onto the charcoals as well as in the chip tray. If it is an older unit, the seals may be bad... check for air leaks (look for smoke).. also, double check your thermometer.. Can you read your thermometer without opening the unit??? Are you opening it too often to check for temp.... if you have to open it to check temp.. time your opening.. open to check after 1.2 hour, next time wait 45 min, next time 1 hr... you may just be opening it too much