John G
John G asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Why do most Dentists not like to pull out wisdom teeth?

I had to go through seven dentists before I could find one who did.

Favorite Answer

Dentists are not surgeons. That is why there are oral surgeons.

Wisdom teeth have long nerve roots which can wrap around nerves that do things in your jaw and face that could be damaged if someone doesn't know what they are doing. IF I were you I'd be grateful that seven dentists knew their limitations.

Next time seek out an oral surgeon. I ended up having general anesthetic to have mine removed because they were so deep.

• huggz

Its because the wisdon teeth are deep rooted and quite often difficult to remove. Its a process which often requires deep sedation or general anaesthesia and a lot of dentists will not take the risks that this involves. Also because the teeth go so deep there can be a risk of heavy bleeding, thats something else the dentists dont like to have to deal with without the support of a hospital.

I have seen wisdom teeth removed with a surgical hammer and chisel in theatres (OD if you're from the US!) , it can be brutal!

Special circumstances require specialty care. I love removing wisdom teeth, but not the hard ones. Yours must be "exceptional."

Because it's generally a more complicated surgery than a dentist can do.

Once you pull a tooth out, it is lost forever, and you will never get it back. Never pull out a tooth for the hell of it.

It hurts. Nobody wants to take the risk.

they usually refer out to an oral surgeon, at least in my experience.