What high school GPA is good enough to get into a university like McGill or UCSD?

Favorite Answer

3.7 is just about good enough to get into McGill. Also, they have had a strong drive in recent years to recruit US students, so that should help you a lot. I got in with a 4.0, relatively few extra-curriculars, 2100 SAT score (30 ACT). In Canada, they really don't look at extra-curriculars though, GPA is the single most important factor. Like I said, 3.7 and you're in (especially if your from the states). However, US school do factor in extracurriculars much more than Canadian schools and if you show enough "character qualities", you can probably get into UCSD without an amazing GPA. Be warned, McGill is tough. I was in the top 5% of my class in high school, and I am really struggling at McGill. There is a reasonable workload, but should you fall behind (like I have), it will be very tough to catch up. Also, it really sucks that class sizes are huge (I'm in the Faculty of Science and 3 of my 4 classes are lectures with around 700 students per lecture). Most of the profs are good though, but you have to make an effort to go out of your way to meet them, or the teacher's assistants, to get help because there is very little interaction with the teachers. If you like partying though, then you shouldn't even be having any second thoughts about McGill (Feel free to email me if you decide to come to McGill).

Source(s): I go to McGill
  • Andy T

I had like a 4.35 or something (I don't recall exactly) and I got into UCSD without having any extra-curricular activites or community service (I only had 1 parent who attended college and am lower-middle class tho, so that might have helped some --------Also, I recieved this letter that told me i was garunteed admission to a UC school, but not neccesarrily the one I applied to --luckily I did get into the only school I applied to though).

That depends on your class load and the enterance requirements. Contacting their admissions office is the best way to find out. Some classes give weight to the gpa where others don't. However, taking AP History when you are choosing to pursue a career in structural engineering will do nothing more than stress you out. Taking AP Calculus will hold more benefit for you in that situation.