What is it about this Politics & Government category?

I'm a newbie to this Yahoo Q&A business, but the general quality of the language, the level of reasoned discourse and debate seem to me to be so... diminished, even from other category groups.

Might it be the nature of the topic perhaps (politics and government) or just the group that uses it? Might it even be a function of the 'points' system used, where jotting something down for a couple of points is more important than a carefully crafted presentation?

To be honest, I've never seen so much badly spelled, unreasoned, dogmatic gainsaying in my life! It's quite appalling actually.

One day later, and what do I find? Precisely the sort of unreasoned, confrontational and insulting language I made a point of in my question!

By the way... the best way to get a point across is by respecting your audience enough to make it cogently. A sense of humour helps a lot, as some have chosen to do. Insults get you nowhere. They merely show you for who and what you are. You should be ashamed.

• Mutt
    Favorite Answer

They are called "Trolls". Their whole purpose in posting here is not to seek information, but to stir up hate and anger between the different groups. And it's not just liberals attacking conservatives, or just conservatives attacking liberals. People from both sides do it. Most of the time I skip those questions, but there are a few times I take the bait and answer one of these. It just depends on my mood.

Another way to look at these is to consider the source. The bad spelling and grammar really shows their maturity level.

• ?

Over the past 20 years, Rush Limbaugh and rght wing conservative church organizations have mobilized people who were formerly quite apolitical. Many of these people are frankly not well educated. They were the perfect blank slates for right wing slogans, and have accepted neo conservative dogma with quasi religious zeal.

The politics forum is inhabited by many of these misguided, souls, by several paid employees of the Republican party, by a few church volunteers, and by one or two Democrat operatives, (placed here to combat some of the propaganda with facts and logic), and by several, proud and articulate liberals. Me? I'm just a citizen doing my civic duty to expose the lies and distortions of right wing Republicans.

This category is based on opinion, and EVERYBODY, literate or not, has an opinion. Some people believe that the rest of the world has a right to hear their opinion regardless of how misguided it migt be.

You get used to it. The more one dimensional, loony and crude (either to the left and right) the question, the worse the spelling is.

Yes, but as civil libertarians we will continue to defend their right to shoot off their mouths and make asses of themselves in public.

Good luck to you

Well......maybe we are not (all) as well educated as you consider yourself to be. Then again,maybe we feel that we don't have to brag or try to point to our college or university educations. Could be we might not feel like going into an MLA type of answer.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Th idea is to get a point acrose. It doesn't mater wat the spellings like as long as somone can reed it

Agreed !!! Thank you !!! :)