Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

I am thinking about....?

Becoming a party/wedding planner...Does anyone have any suggestions on the process or how to start in this business?? I have dressed plenty of themed party/fun rooms over the years and I am planning 2 wedding as we speak(both for free) I think this would be a fun job and I'm very interested in starting something that I love to do... Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

There is a lot more to being a party/wedding planner that just planning the decorations. In order to be an effective wedding planner, you need to know every aspect of the business. Are you going to be a planner who arranges the place and decorations or you going to be a planner who has everything to offer from the flowers, decorations, tents if needed, dinnerware and serving pieces, entertainment, photographer, etc.? If you are going to be a full service wedding planner, you will need to create a portfolio. Start by contacting several florists for instances. Explain to them that you are thinking about becoming a wedding planner, ask them if they have a wedding planned in the future that you could tag along and observe how they do their weddings. In return, you would be happy to inform future clients of your's the type of work they do and would refer them for a small fee or commission. You will need to do this with every type of business that has anything to do with weddings. Not everyone's budget or style will be the same, so you will also want to get price lists and several comparisons for each type of businesses. DON'T ever recommend someone that you have not seen their work. You may want to talk with an attorney also about drawing up a contract that protects you as the go between, stating that they have hired each individual company and you are only the go between to make sure everything is being handled properly and minimized stress for the brides. Be sure to catagories your companies for things they specialize in, example: caterers - they bride wants bar-be-que, only offer caterers who serve mostly bar-be-que. Make appointments for you and the bride to have a tasting from a few companies. Last bit of advice: if you have ten caterers who offer bar-be-que, don't offer all ten. Do your homework and find out how formal, informal, or casual the event will be and then compare to the caterer's style. Make sure that all your client's understand that they are paying for your services that include check with various companies to make sure they still have the wedding scheduled, what's on the menu is going to be prepared, etc. and that they are not paying you to perform the services yourself.

Source(s): Have worked in this field

To me it sounds like a fairly easy thing to start. As long as you have the money to advertise though.....do a search for all the wedding planners in your area and you will see the sites that come up. You need to have the money to advertise on those websites (theknot.com and stuff like that). Just build a cool website, make sure you know what you are doing, and have links to your site placed on the other wedding sites.

The internet is the first place people go once they get engaged and as long as you have a website that comes up in thier search, you will have a fighting chance.

Just make sure your ideas are good and you have the drive to succeed and you will do fine.

Source(s): I know because I am getting married next year and my fiance and I are always looking up people and things to do and talk to online.

It does sound like a fun and creative job until you really think about these two things:

There goes your Saturday night.

Not to mention dealing with Bridezilla!

Did you try to google it? Here is one I just googled, there were several others. Just type in wedding planner careers. Good luck!

You have already begun, you just need to sit down with yourself and decide on what your prices will be.

Base this upon:

1. Materials used

2. Preparation time

3. Size of party to be planned (number of attendees)

3. Food costs

Compare these to other planners in your area and try to be as competitive as possible without losing money.

God bless you in your endeavors.

The change among human and animals that we have got a "pondering brain" ... We human use our minds to do many matters in our day-to-day existence... via pondering we do matters higher... While animals acquired minds .. however they do not use it. Thinking procedure is distinctive .. as a result of the challenge you're maintain in. For a few how causes.. many times you do not suppose appropriately that is when you consider that of the tough challenge you're in. The extra we suppose.. the well we outcome we acquire.

Get yourself a few business cards, and a website to advertise your services. Try advertising at your local supermarket, and talk to friends and family who plan to get married soon to see if you can offer your services for free/low rates to get your foot on the ladder. If you do a good job they will refer you to their friends and so forth. Once you get that done, see if it takes off. Good luck!

I have no clue, but that has always sounded fun to me too. I hope your future business goes great!